Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Jan 31, 2009, 12:56 PM   #1

We're currently totally redoing our photography area, and we're having hardwood floors installed in a portion of it. It will probably be about 12' by 12'. One concern I have is whether to put the hardwood flooring parallel or perpendicular to the common camera position. Of course, I guess we COULD put it in an area where we could reposition the camera and shoot either way, but space is limited.

In looking through some of Frank Doorhof's work (I wish he would post more often, btw), his flooring ran left to right of the subject, i.e. parallel. That's how I believe I would shoot most of the time.

Comments? Input? The flooring is going in in 2 weeks, so any comments would be greatly appreciated.
HughesInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2009, 9:35 AM   #2

My vote is that perpendicular would give a cool effect, especially if you were shooting from a distance with lots of space around your subject in the prints (showing lots of the floor and ceiling, trying for the effect of distance, etc)

but, parallel to the subject is probably safest, less likely to be 'wow, how cool' but less likely to look weird...

but hell, who am i to say?
Old Mar 7, 2009, 6:44 AM   #3

You've probably installed your flooring by now already. But here is an example of timber flooring running perpendicular

Photo courtesy of http://www.teddytan.com.au
TeddyTan is offline   Reply With Quote