Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Feb 23, 2009, 3:51 PM   #1

I've been contracted by my local high school to shoot their spring formal dance. There are several different types of shots involved in this:

1. Senior dinner at the school
2. Processional - students are paired up and I'll have an opportunity to catch them in front of a 'set'
3. Grand March - this is a formal dance where they basically are presented for photos
4. Class Group shots - here where I think the real challenge is - I'll be shooting class groups and the entire school, so sizes will vary from 30 to 200. The dance is in the gym, and it will be fairly dark (probably only 10% of the lights on). I don't think I'll have access to the bleachers... So, what do I do about posing a group like this and how the heck do I light it? I have a studio kit with 3 strobes and softboxes/umbrellas...
5. Candid Dance Shots - I have a Canon with a 580ex2, should I invest in some kind of bracket to move the flash further away from the camera? Any recommendations?

Any other advice or tips for an event like this?

jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links