Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old May 28, 2009, 3:45 PM   #1
Default Please don't laugh...

Hi there,

Okay, so I am starting to get into photography. I currently have a Minolta Dimage 7hi camera with flashgun.

I am saving my pennies for a Canon 40D.

I am looking at umbrella strobes on e bay... you can see what I am looking at by going to the site and entering in 260416569715 into the search.

I imagine this is a pretty crappy set-- but what does everyone think for someone who is just starting out?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated, and your criticism is expected.
pmilnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2009, 2:44 PM   #2

i just bought some similar from cowboystudio in dallas, they were 17 dollars each and are comparable to sp72 i'm using mine with barndoors i got from b&h. i'm not sure of those but the ones i have are good enough. would i love to afford alien bees or whitelightings? yes, but i do what i can, good luck.
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 8:53 AM   #3

Looks very similar to what I got my start with in lighting many years ago.
They worked just fine, only complaint might be the GN 29 output is a bit low, but with modern cameras like that 40D you can compensate by using a higher ISO.
You might also try to visit a craft shop like Michaels and purchase some sheets of white foamcore as well.
Not expensive and makes great reflectors.
(black foamcore works well as flags, when you get to the point of really trying to control where light hits the subject.)

airbrushjohn BTW: Alien Bees, WhiteLightning and Zeus are all made in the USA by the same company which is owned by Paul Buff. They are a great company to deal with and the products are top notch when they can be afforded.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote