Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Dec 30, 2003, 7:50 AM   #1
Default Olympus c-2100 uz use in studio

My goal is to use c-2100 with studio flash, preferably where flash from camera sets off other stobes via use of their slaves. I understand the multi-flash from c-2100 that sets off strobes prematurly on exposure, & I know I can get an external flash unit for c-2100 (Olympus or other 3rd party), but would using that flash unit work with other studio strobes with their slaves? c-2100 has hard wire capability for firing external strobe, does hard wire also send multiflash signals? Thanks for any help.
RLeuallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2004, 8:59 AM   #2

The simplest approach for the C-2100UZ is to geta FL-CB04 cable (B&H and Adorama sell them for $40). This plugs into the C-2100UZ's 5 pin TTL socket and provides a pc-sync connection. Use the pc-sync to connect to one of your stobes and set the other strobes to fire off as a slave of the first. Note, you probably want to check with the manufacturer of the strobes to see if the amount of current is too high for the camera -- unfortunately Olympus doesn't really say what a safe voltage is (Canon's like 6 volts, Nikons 12 volts, the ISO standard says 24 volts, so the safest approach is to only use strobes that have 6 volts or less). Paul Bluff strobes (Alien Bees, White Lightning) are supposed to all be safe.

If your strobes aren't safe, you can either get a protector circuit from Wein or Paramount Cords, or get a cheap safe flash and use that to trigger the strobes. Note, I and other users have had problems connecting Sunpak flashes to the FL-CB04 cable (the cables just don't join properly, but if I use other mini-phone plug to pc-sync cables it works fine).

Paramount Cords can also make a special order cable for you that connects the C-2100UZ directly to the flash(es) with the appropriate terminal, which eliminates using multiple cables, each of which can become disconnected.

Michael Meissner is offline   Reply With Quote