Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Aug 14, 2004, 11:48 AM   #1

Hi guys,
first let me say that I really enjoy reading all the different posts and advice given in this forum. Right now I am the process of buying my first light kit for my portable/home studio. I have noticed here that the Alien Bees come highly recommended, and I must say that they do look like some really nice lights. I am currently a student of the NYI, and they suggest that students first go with not a flash or strobe light kit, but instead go with a continous light. I am currently torn between the allien bees and the light kit listed here. http://sell-it-on-the-net.com/images...inuous_kit.jpg
can I get some opinions on the matter here please. And would it not be easier to compose thru the lens with continous lighting for a newbie?
Your replies will be greatly appreciated.
I currently own a Nikon N80 and a 6006, I am looking to upgrade to a digital SLR. Currently considering the Nikon D70, and also one the the Canon digital slrs.
Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

cmarinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2004, 11:43 AM   #2

Continous lighting has some advantages over strobes, especially when learning about lighting. I have a description of my early lighting setup on this thread:

FWIW, I still use a mix of continous & strobe lights depending on the situation & effect I want.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 10:04 PM   #3

After extensive research I have opted to purchase the continous lighting kit made my Smith Victor. I was hoping to get more insight on this issue. I thank Kalypso for his reply. After having discussions with my teachers and many pro's I decided that for someone like myself who happens to be in the beginning stages of experimenting with studio lights that continous light is by far the best way to go. As time progress and I get better and more confident with other elementary features of portrait photagraphy I will then move on to flash lighting. The quality of the lighting that I received seems of good quality for the money. The test of time will reveal how good it really is.

Thanks to all.

cmarinc is offline   Reply With Quote