Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Sep 7, 2004, 12:29 PM   #1

Someone suggested to me that a Nikon as-15 pc sync adapter will work with my Canon G5, allowing me to use a sync cord to use my studio lights. Does anyone know if this Nikon adapter will work with a Canon camera ??
chuckie_237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2004, 12:58 PM   #2

The AS-15 looks like a standard hot shoe to PC adapter (I'm not actually familar with this particular model).

The problem I'd worry about are the studio strobes operate at a voltage safe for the digital camera. Most digitals don't like a trigger voltage higher than 6v, whereas some studio stobes (even some older battery operated flashes) have trigger voltages in the 100-300v range.

Personally I'd get a Wein SafeSync to be on the safe side.

A friend of a friend of mine who does camera repairs is swamped with Nikon repairs due to using high voltage flashes.

Here's a page which talks about hotshoe trigger voltages (based on the Canon G1):

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 3:02 AM   #3

since i've been readig up a bit about the voltage problem of hooking up my G5 digi camera to a high voltage strobe.

like in my other posts, my technique has ben to use the preflash from my camera to sync with the strobe and then aim-block the flash directly from my camera but allowing enough flash from the camera to trigger the strobe. i've been getting good results. will post sample pictures soon.

berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 5:55 AM   #4

You can achieve the same thing automatically with a Digi-slave: http://www.srelectronics.com/
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote