Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Nov 7, 2004, 7:18 PM   #1

After a year of taking glamour/portrait workshops at a downtown studio, I think I'm ready to start setting up my own (as a hobby). I've looked at a few different brands of studio lighting and the ones that seem to be the best value for me are Alien Bees. I am looking at either the B800s or the B1600s. Can anyone on here vouch for this lighting system? Their website and product line up and customer service sounds very impressive. I'd like to get some objective opinions. Would appreciate hearing your comments. Thanks!
StevenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2004, 8:08 PM   #2

The Alien Beeline of products is a fairly new line by Paul C Buff inc. who also makesthe more expensive White Ligntning line. Both lines have a good reputation with the Bees being aimed more for home users.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 8:39 PM   #3

That little Search window at the top of the page works great. Just type in Alien Bees & hit Search & you will find many, many recomendations for them.
Old Nov 7, 2004, 9:06 PM   #4

You will also find that the WLs are thought to be somewhat more sturdy, have far better modeling lights, and (in the case of the 1600s) the ability to also operate at the level of the 400s, which might be useful in some situations (say smaller settings, or with a digital camera, like the D70, that only goes down to ISO 200). The WLs cost more, but have the same company and service behind them, and a five year warranty. On the other hand, they don't have the "you can upgrade these to more powerful lights for a nominal fee" program that applies to the ABs.
fmilder is offline   Reply With Quote