Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Feb 28, 2005, 10:27 PM   #1

Can anyone recommend a decent exposure/flash meter- Specifically Minolta vs Sekonic...(Minolta IV, IVF, V, VF vs any Sekonic)-- Also, anyone know the difference between the Minolta IVF and IV, and the V and VF- in other words what does the "F" distinction mean. And if that wasn't enough, what about the diff between the Minolta "auto meters" and "flash meters"??

I'll be using it mainlyfor Weddings/Portraits (outdoor and studio)- and for general use when I want truely acurate readings.

Thanks in advance

Equipment: Canon 20D, Canon 17-85mm IS, 75-300mm IS, Canon Speedlite 550EX, portable studio lighting TBD??? (any recommendations)
digic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2005, 11:29 AM   #2

'F' is enhanced 'newer' versions (eventually they'll phase out the non-F)
FYI - http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/...ExposureMeters
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 10:05 PM   #3

K-M Vf is a great choice, ~$220. easy, consistent, I am pleased with it for all my studio work. I have also had top tech help from K-M senior tech with meter expertise for many years.
Having said that, Sekonic offers the same price and more features. They include a reflective light attachment while K-M decided to save pennies and remove their 40 deg. attachment (plastic disc with a small hole in the center) as an included accessory. About $20. to buy one. Also, Sekonic offers a Pocket Wizard Transmitter built in .. not a big deal for me (I do not need one in my studio) and a Receiver cost is near $200. They are very handy and Photogenic has started building a receiver into their PL1250 Powerlight. If things change and you really need accurate reflective light spot metering, Sekonic offers both 5 degree and 1 degree spot attachments. K-M only offers 5 deg and many feel that 1 deg is important.
I got good value for money in K-M Vf but they certainly have gone to sleep in terms of staying competitive with Sekonic. I guess there are lots of subterranean issues with the Konica-Minolta merger and Konica's previous relationship with Sekonic and perhaps some impact current competitive policies?
Either choice is a solid one.
TMacaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 8:29 AM   #4

Thanks TMacaw. I guess I'll have to get one of each in my hands and "try them on for size"- I don't need/wanta ton of confusing features- although i do want to make sure it has enough to feed my growing needs as i develop. Sounds like the Sekonic deserves an initial nod. I appreciate your feedback!

digic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 9:50 PM   #5

now the question arises do you intend to usethe pocket wizard radio system. if so your headed right for a L358 from sekonic which supports the system. prices out a ~$249 with the PW chip and as mention above host a grand amount of available accessories.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 1:47 AM   #6

I've had a Minolta Autometer for over 20 years and it still works. Meters both strobe and ambient light.

With that said, if it ever goes "toes up" I'll get a Sekonic because of the capability to work with Pocket Wizards.

See some of my current photos from the set of the forthcoming feature film "Psychopathia Sexualis" at www.psychopathia.com

Terry Thomas

Atlanta, Georgia USA
TerryThomas_Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote