Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Apr 12, 2005, 3:00 PM   #1

Hi, I am new here and was hoping for a little help. I just bought a 300D and I need some advise on lighting/backdrops. i only have a few photoflood(250w) lights and as you can see, I get alot of shadows and looks rather dull to me. I am trying to take decent shots of my woodworking. I am now using a rather "blah" background and would like to fing something that would work well withmy projects. Not going to take any portraits, just items.

Attached Images
Jeff M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2005, 5:46 PM   #2

Jeff, first off ..move subject away a couple of feet from the backgroundthis will give you a little depth of field, and play with your apature to blur it ( the background) to the effect you desire.. as far as light us reflectors and umbrellas for different effects....to get good at lighting you must play with them and experiment the effects are endless... for sahdows if you use flash Bounce it wil help.. good Luck Dale http://www.pbase.com/cowboy43
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 12:44 PM   #3

Yeah you will definatly want to get you suject at least 2 feet in front of the background to let the focus "fall out" (your shadows are a lot easier to manage too).As far as lighting is concerned 250watt hot lights are just fine. You might want to get some wider reflectors to help with the hot spots on the wood.

tim da tech is offline   Reply With Quote