Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Jun 14, 2005, 4:19 PM   #1

I want to upgrade to an 8 megapixel camera (don't want an DSLR thanks) with a long zoom, image stabilization, articulated lcd. Should shoot sports well. Based on Steve's reviews and Image Resource's (Dave's Picks) I've narrowed it down to the Nikon Coolix 8800 and Konica Minolta's DiMage A200. Really leaning towards the A200 because the 8800 is supposed to be just too slow.

The only thing the A200 doesn't have (in my book) is an auto-focus assist lamp. Depending on the review you read, some say it does fine in low light...other say it hunts, for a while for proper focus.

I have this feature on my Sony DSC-P10 and I kind of like it. I'm wondering what other people think about this feature? Thanks.

dmargolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2005, 6:44 PM   #2

I think the A200 could benifit from an assist lamp based on the 2.8 lens. I'm not sure why Minolta didn't include it. The only reason I see is the capability to shoot with an ISO 800 equivilent. I'm not sure I'd trust the quality at 800 so you may want to look as some actual photos. Graininess "could" become a problem at ISO 400 and above.

I'll let you do the homework--Just my opinion based on the spec review.
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote