Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Jan 4, 2006, 4:44 AM   #1

I'd like to ask for advice regarding purchasing lighting equipment for product shots. Items to be shot are clothing accessories as well as action figures and tech gadgets ranging from ipod shuffles to PC casings. These shots will be appearing in a magazine.

What do you think is a good basic setup? What should I keep an eye out for (wattage, brand, accessories) when buying?

I'd much appreciate it if you could give a basic as well as a more advanced setup, such as one that could be suitable for portraits later on, and not just for product shots. Thanks in advance!
takipsilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2006, 9:31 AM   #2

I'm not the best with lighting equipment but I would consider a softbox to reduce shadows around odd sized products. Just a recommendation.
CaliBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 5:45 AM   #3

Get strobes. Alien Bees are good as a start. You will also require softboxes or shoot through umbrellas to but down on harsh shadows. White seamless paper for backgrounds (or any other color u want).

Another thing you might wanna get is perspex, to place the products on. This will give you a nice reflection at the bottom. You could get a piece of glass and paint it black underneath, and place you products on that. That will also give nice reflection.
ignitef is offline   Reply With Quote