Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Jan 21, 2006, 12:18 PM   #1

Hi Guy's

I'm new to digital photography and was wondering if it would be better to use a flash or a lighting kit when shooting indoors?

Any advice would be appreciated.

remstrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2006, 12:41 PM   #2

Depends on what you're shooting, how often, how much time you have to prep for shots, etc. (The more info you provide us the better our answers will be). I often use an off camera flashes with various umbrellas & reflectors to achieve different results.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 2:04 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply, the setup will be for amateur (for now) shots of the kids.

The shots will be made in my house, with a Fuji S9500.

I have seen a kit on Ebay, but was wondering if the lights are too bright?

The kit is :

2 x Interfit 3200K heads with 21cm reflectors.

2x 500Watt P2/1 Lamps

2 x 4 section Air Damped light Stands

1 x 100cm Silver Umbrella

1 x 100cm White Translucent Umbrella

Thanks for your help!

remstrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 4:28 PM   #4

I recently bought my wife a simple monolight kit just to start taking some portraits at home. It made a world of difference in the quality of our pictures and I've had a change to learn a lot about lighting. As for the kit you are reffering to, can you provide a link to it? This was we can read about it to find ou tthe details like are they monolights, how do they sync to your camera, are they adjustable and things like that.

Dave Porter
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 7:16 AM   #5

I also have a Fuji 9500 and the very same lighting setup you mentioned and find that although the lighting seems very bright the exposure times are a little longer that I like. No problem when shooting still life/macro or adult portraits but can can be a problem with children who won't sit still.

Most of my macro shots are taken at around 1/4 at F22 ISO200 (need the depth of field) with the lights about three feet away from the object and at that distance the lights give off quite a bit of heat which doesn't help if you are photgraphing flowers/plants etc.

I am now considering getting two flash heads to use on the stands instead of the tungsten lighting but each one of these cost as least as much as the complete lighting kit so I don't know if I can really justify spending that much.

It really comes down to how much you will use it and the price you are willing to pay.

pixmate is offline   Reply With Quote