Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Apr 18, 2006, 2:04 PM   #1

Hello Everyone,

I am currently trying to decide between the Canon 350D or the 30D. Since the 350D is selling for such a huge bargain ($600 with $100 rebate) combined with the fact that I plan to upgrade to a full-frame camera (when the price drops below ~ $15K), I am strongly leaning towards the much cheaper 350D.

I plan to be starting a home portrait studio for use with my Linhof 45 view camera. I plan to start off with two umbrella AC strobe flashes and one regular flash for back (behind the head) lighting. I would also like to use the same setup with my future digital SLR.

Is there any disadvantages that the 350D might have over the 30D for studio light control? The only one I noted was that the 350D lacks a PC terminal. However its my understanding that you can always buy a hotshoe adapter to control your umbrella flashes.

Can the E-TTL be disabled on the Rebel XT? I heard that the E-TTL can confuse optical slave units by making them trigger on the pre-flash.
lowang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2006, 12:39 PM   #2

If you want a full frame digital camera, you don't have to spend 15k. The 5D is full frame and I think it is about $3000.

As far as the 30D, I am not sure on it. I know the 20D and the Rebel XT are head to head on picture quality, you just get a lot more perks and bells and whistles. I think this is true of the 30D too because I think it uses the same sensor, but I am not sure.

You can buy a hotshoe-PC adapter for the XT, or you can buy an IR transmitter to go on the hotshoe like I have. You can not disable E-TTL on the XT with the built in flash, so it will not work with triggering slave flashes. For that you need the Sigma EF-500 DG Super. Great flash.
crash331 is offline   Reply With Quote