Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Apr 30, 2006, 2:02 PM   #1

Since I'm beeing a begginner there are lot ofphotos where I have had troubles obtaining right white balance. I know that there are several otpions to measure the light and want to ask you to suggest what is the best possibility for an amateur to measure white balance for studio and outside shoting.

What equipment can I buy and approximatelly money spending....

Thanks in advance and hoping that here is the right place to ask such question.
ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2006, 8:32 PM   #2

I try not to spend any more than I have to. ;-)

Your cameras have a custom white balance feature. It's designed to measure the temperature of the light by sampling it by shooting a white or gray card.

Then, it can apply the same white balance to other shots in that lighting when you use it.

Look up custom white balance inyour manualsand you'll see how to set it. If memory serves, you've got a Nikon prosumer model as well as a new Canon DSLR. Both should have this feature.

Some users buy aphotographic white card or graycard for this purpose (setting the camera's custom white balance).

Afew coffee filters stacked usually gets you pretty close (although you have to be careful as some cameras can be a bit "finnicky" shooting them). Almost anything white can work in a pinch and get you close (even a piece of paper).

Another way is setting custom WB by using the top from a Pringles Potato Chip can (it's a translucent gray lid). You set your white balance while pointing the lens through thelid towards the light source). I've heard that they may have changed the color of the tops so that newer ones won't work as well, though.

A commercial product that is well liked by others to do the same thing isthe Expodisc.

Here is a link to the site:

You'll find instructions specific tocamera models there, too (basically, it's explaining how to use the custom white balance feature in conjunction with their products):

Of course, shooting in raw gives you more leeway (you can more easily tweak the color temperature in post processing).

Another way to make sure you've got it set right is to take photos of a photographic gray card or white card in the lighting you're shooting in and use the white balance eye dropper in your raw converter to sample it.

Then, saveit as a custom white balance in your raw converter and apply the same settings to the images you convert.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 9:30 PM   #3

Jim gives excellent advice. I prefer the gray card myself, as it is easy to be just a little overexposed when shooting the white card. Then, if there is a cast to the light, it won't be completely removed, and the custom setting may even introduce the complementary color.

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 7:16 AM   #4

Thanks, JimC, as always a good information directly from yourside...... Some things I have alllready known but there are new things that I will try for sure....also about some equipment you suggested are in my mind right now for future possibilities.....

This is very importatnt subject(define WBalance) for me in order to max the photo quality

ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote