Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Jun 13, 2006, 2:49 PM   #1

I have a Nikon D70 and an SB 800 speedlight. I am working on setting up a small studio in my home and would like to do it as reasonable as possible.Ihave been studying continuous lighting versus strobe or flash and there are so many pros and cons to both. I want to do portrait and pet photography as well as some still life.

I have played with using my speedlight with a reflector and that has helped but I still don't get the cool skin tone I want. Would spending $350 for another SB 800 and using it as a slave work?

I have read many of the threads on studio lighting andwould appreciate all suggestions.
DMck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2006, 8:51 AM   #2

Hi DMcK,

You can get another SB-800 or SB-600 and use TTL. When I do a dog or kid shots I try to do them outdoors but at times you can not because of weather or time of day. If I'm stuck inside I just put one SB-800 on onecorner of the room and the other at the other corner at an angel toward the subject and use my pop up as the Master. I may turn one of the remotes down a stop or two if needed. TTLi will work great that way if you set camera to Aperture prefered lens wide open.

Be sure to have flash remotes high enough above the subjects to eliminate shadows,Also keep subjscts away from the walls or backdrop or you will have a shadow problem.

As I advised John2 in another post,

Go to http://www.nikonusa.com and get a DVD Vidio called "THE SPEED of LIGHT" it is very good and will show you what you need to know about what the Nikon speedlights 800 & 600 can do.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote