Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Jun 30, 2003, 5:41 PM   #1
Default how to teransfer video to a pc

i want to do some practice editing video, but first i need a good ans easy way to transfer the video to a pc, ill be using a panasonic camcorder(no digital)

milleniumdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2003, 2:23 AM   #2

If your camera has a IEEE1394 interface which it should have if it's digital your best buy is a firewire card for your PC, they start at arround $25,00 at this time. You only need an videoediting suite with that.

Good choices for the beginners are Studio 8 from Pinnacle, for the more advanced Adobe premiere or Ulead and for the real editors edition 8).

If you really want to start out aim for the pinnacle/Dazzle cards they are bundled with a good editing packet.

Have fun.

Sorry I just read NO digital ops:.

In that case go for a analog card, dazzle and Pinnacle have some external boxes which work VERY good, only problem is they capture straight away in MPEG2, and that is a bit difficult to edit at the moment. Aim for the DC10+ from pinnacle for a good starters card, they are alot more expensive than de IEEE1394 cards by the way.
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2003, 12:23 AM   #3

Canopus has a great A-D/D-A converter called the ADVC100. Read about it here:

It sells for around US$250 and has great features such as locked audio and reverse conversion, meaning you can stream the digital signal off of the computer back onto a VHS or DV tape. You will need to get software such as Pinnacle Studio 8 to do any editing and publishing to DVD or tape. It connects to your computer via Firewire (ieee-1394).

Laserjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 7:09 AM   #4

I have used the Dazzle usb DCV-80 with fair results.

Recently purchased an ATI Radeon 7500 All-in-wonder 64 mb AGP video card which works very well.

I'd advise getting a 2nd hard drive for your computer 7200rpms and 8 mb cache and using this drive to copy your video to.

Here is an example using the Dazzle usb of a guy getting his lips sewn together. It is about 50 MBs so dial up users beforwarned.
AmeriDan is offline   Reply With Quote