Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Jan 14, 2007, 10:54 AM   #1

I have a DSLR and shoot in manual. I do real estate work, shooting mostly interiors. I usually shoot around 100 Shutter and adjust my aperature. I spoke with another photographer who said he generally shoots SP around 30 and adjust aperature to that? Both of our results are similar. Which would you experts say would be best and why? Thank you so much for your help!
ps34109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2007, 11:30 AM   #2

You guys are probably using <28mm wide angles for interiors so the slower 1/30 should be fine.

Depth of field is the difference. Larger apertures (small F numbers) have shallower depth of fields, however it will be difficult to notice the difference on a wide angle lens. DoF is much more pronounced on longer zoom lenses.

I'd personally shoot at the slowest speed and smallest aperture (largest F number) for interiors to get the sharpest image possible..... even though it would hard tell the difference on a wide angle, unless perhaps, you enlarge the photo.
reppans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 2:53 PM   #3

For any lighting situation there are any number of shutter speed and aperture setting combinations that will work. This is called reciprocity. For example f/2.8 & 1/60, f/4 & 1/30, f/5.6 & 1/15, f/8 & 1/8 may all give proper exposure in a certain environment. As pointed out by Reppans you now have to decide if you want more shutter speed or depth of field and pick what is needed for that situation. Interior shots will require more DoF so you would go more for the f/8 and brace the camera properly to avoid shake at 1/8 second shutter speed.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 4:49 PM   #4

The discussioin should probably include shutter speed, aperture and ISO (sensitivity).

All three affect the final result.

If I were shooting average indoor light, I would shoot ISO800 as a general rule.

If I'm using a tripod, I'd probably shoot 1/60th of a second, or if I'm handholding, I'd go for a target of 1/125th.

Then I'd look at the aperture and determine if I'm going to get the depth of field (everything in focus) and start playing around with the ISO and the shutter speed until the aperture was a-ok.

If I wanted everything in focus in a small room, I'd hope to shoot F5.6 at least.

I would say most photographers "approximate" what they'd like to shoot, then start playing around with the ISO, shutter speed and aperture until they think they're making the best of the situation.

All adjustments have tradeoffs. Higher ISO means more "noise" in the photo.
Slower shutter speeds means more opportunity for camera shake to take effect. Really wide apertures could result in some of the scene out of focus, which may not be intended.

Play around, understand the relationship of ISO, shutter speed and aperture, and soon you'll be all set!

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote