Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Jul 20, 2007, 4:01 PM   #1

Hello all,

I need some help with color management. I know little about it, so go easy please ;-)

What we are doing now: I have a dental practice where we do a lot of cosmetic work for our patients. We use a digital camera (XT Rebel; 100mm macro lens; ring flash) to create pics which are then emailed to our lab. The lab uses the image on their screen as a reference as to the exact shade to make the new crowns.

The photo shown is an example of how we convey the image. The sample shade tooth is one of a series of standardized shades used in dentstry. It is in the picture to serve as a reference.
[img]%3Ctable%20style=%22width:194px;%22%3E%3Ctr%3E%3Ct d%20align=%22center%22%20style=%22height:194px;bac kground:url%28http://picasaweb.google.com/f/img/tr...3E%3C/table%3E[/img]
The Problem: We are not getting accurate color representation on the computer. I know that all montors should be calibrated. We've never done that but I'm ready to start, but I'm also concerned that the image from the camera is a as accurate as possible. There are very subtle differences in tooth color that are important for us to be able to discern. Ideally, the shade of the sample tab we hold in the photo, should appear on the monitor as in real life.

What I need: It would be great if someone could offer a way for us to take pictures, email them, and have the viewed result on the lab's computer, appear the same as it does in real life.

I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts or sugggestions how we could do this.

Many thanks!
whatmework? is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links