Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Oct 6, 2007, 2:02 PM   #1

Hi there,

What's the simple step to checking a new or 2nd hand camera while buying at a camera shop?
MacTreoUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2007, 8:46 PM   #2

The biggest single issue would be to know the shop. Or at least know the shop's reputation.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 1:03 AM   #3

In addition to BillDrew's excellent suggestion, I'd say that you should have your choices narrowed down before you walk in the door.

My feeling is that, if you ask a salesperson a question, you're telling them that you think they're smarter than you are. That is NOT a good thing to do. Let them volunteer information, and if it coincides with what you already know, then maybe you can let your guard down a little.

I think that you should go there with memory cards you can use in each of the cameras you're considering, or buy them there, take some photos with each camera onto your own cards, go home, and examine the images on your own computer before you buy a camera.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 8:25 AM   #4

BillDrew wrote:
know the shop
Very wise words, Bill.

I'd add (as does TCav) "don't buy until until you've had your hands on the camera and tried it out, at least with a few shots in and around the shop". What feels right in your hands is a very individual matter, depending on size of fingers (&nose!), eyesight, memory for location of buttons & menu items, etc., etc.

I'm privileged to have a wonderful local camera shop which publishes every couple of weeks a leaflet with no-holds-barred mini-reviews of all the latest model cameras the proprietors have tested (as photographer and model) in overseas sunny locations. The photographer writes the reviews on their flights home to pass the time.They make big (11x17 or bigger) prints from each camera they'll stock & sell, (and some they won't!), and they're all in a folder in the shop for inspection by customers.

I've bought 6 digicams from them since 2003 (Olympus C3020Z, Casio QV-5700, Jenoptik 3.1, Sanyo S-4, Casio EX-Z750, Kodak Z712), on their current recommendation according to my or the family's requirements and the state of manufacturing art. I've been delighted every time. As the shop isin a fairly impoverished area by UK standards, their prices match the internet, without thehassle.

When, with the Z712, I finally got near to where I used to be with my filmscanner and OM-10 SLR, they even bought my huge box of film cameras, lenses and assorted stuff off me (admittedly for peanuts, but maybe it'll find an enthusiastic home or a museum).

Sadly, I'm not aware of anywhere else offering such a service, especially not in the middle of large empty continents. It's something to aim for, though.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote