Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Nov 6, 2007, 9:04 AM   #1

Someone once posted a message here about buying large rags of micro-fiber cloth to be used for cleaning lenses. I kept my eyes open for a local source. I found such cloths at a Wal-Mart Super Center in the aisle area where window squeegees were being displayed.

There was a pair of cloths, one white, one light blue, with a redish card label. The name is Zwipes microfiber windshield and glass cloth.

I used a pair of scissors to cut them into about 5 X 3 inch sections. When I found the cut edges were fraying I started up my Bernzomatic gas torch, then quickly dragged the cut edges through the edge of the flame to slightly melt and seal them. The cloth is made of polyesther and nylon, and melts with high heat. A small electric soldering iron would also do for cutting and sealing the cloth.

These cloths are said to be able to be dampened, but I simply blow my breath on a lens, then lightly wipe it dry with the cloth.

Always brush or blow any debris off a lens before wiping it. If there is a hard grit there any wiping medium will cause lens scratches. I keep a canned air blower and a wide, bushy camel's hair makeup brush for precleaning.

These cloths also work great on eyeglasses and windshields. They will remove that ever-present smudge off of windshields after you use first something like Windex and the glass has dried.

I hope this information helps someone else. Really good cleaning of glass has always been problematic for me, and, I suspect, for many other people. These cloths are a new way to combat this.

Old Engineer

Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2007, 3:48 PM   #2

Thanks for the tip.

Regards, Lawrence

Dr. C is offline   Reply With Quote