Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old May 30, 2009, 9:14 AM   #1
Default Tip on wide angels and different shots

Hey Guys,

I've been trying to learn how to take shots that look like your in fast motion trying to bring the background forward, or the background farther away then it truly is.

How do you achieve those types of shots, and what type of lenses do you need?

I have a Sony A300 with the standard 18-75mm lens that it came with.

An example of what I mean would be something like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/working...ay/3401775719/ notice the truck is slightly skewed. is that a photoshop trick or is that the lens. This isn't a fisheye lens tho is it because I though fisheye would skew it in the oposite direction.

catalyst007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2009, 9:54 AM   #2

It's the perspective that affects how close or far away the background looks with respect to the subject. With the subject taking up the same portion of the frame, a wide angle lens makes the background look further away, and an telephoto lens makes the background look closer.

Try it yourself. Set your lens to 35mm and move forward or backward to compose a 'waist up' portrait of an adult subject, and take the photo. Then set your lens to 70mm and move back to compose about the same 'waist up' portrait, and take the photo. The second shot will look like the background is a lot closer than it appears in the first.

This is the same technique that is used ocassionally in movies when the subject appears stationary but the background zooms in or out.

The image you referenced was shot with a wide angle, which created the atypical perspective in the photo.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote