Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Jun 18, 2009, 5:45 AM   #1
Default How silly I was! - the simple rule of thirds

Well I have had my Ricoh R7 for sometime- pleased with the results, but thinking why do I have so much hit and miss when composing an image- basic stuff I know.

I then bought a book called "getting the best from your digital camera" and read about the rule of thirds.

Basically you imagine your image broken down in thirds horizontally and vertically- you then have a grid of nine.

The theory is that if you place points of interest in the intersections or along the lines that your photo becomes more balanced. An example is the horizon aligning to the bottom third line.

Mucking about with the display button on the back of my Ricoh- what did I find? Yep- that grid is there! It places third-lines onto the LCD screen.

Then I play with "crop" in my iPhoto on the mac. Same thing- that grid is there! Makes life so much easier until it starts becoming a bit more second nature.

It pays to read the manual and also read lots! Basic information for a lot of the forum members I expect, but its incredible how the most basic of information can assist your picture taking!

Please excuse my ignorance!

tbanting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2009, 3:30 AM   #2

That picture is most excellent. I love DOF that shows both in front and back of the actual focused area. And yeah, the rule of thirds is golden also for video
subc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 7:09 AM   #3

Reviving an old thread to add:
Pick up a book on just about any painter, or better visit an art museum and look at compositions. Once awareness builts up, you see all kinds of interesting, fun, and useful stuff, starting with the "thirds" rule!
sampoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2014, 4:16 PM   #4

I have been a semi professional painter for many years as well as being involved in photography.
The rule of thirds or golden rule has to be considered not as a positive rule but a useful rule .
Because it depends on what you are trying to say with your image, ie if you want to put a lot of emphasis on a subject place it or whatever slap bang in the middle of the picture. If you want to make someone look more important place them higher etc. So to be creative you will often have to break rules, go into any art gallery and you will find broken rules every where.
The best of luck with your endeavours.
D5100 +18-200mVR Nikkor lens.
SB400 Flash, ML-L3 Remote.
SB 700 Flash
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote