Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Nov 15, 2003, 3:09 PM   #1
Default flower photography

im trying to get some good shots of flowers , and was hoping to get some tips
i have done a few so far but they dont seem to have the richness of color i would like .
any advice in lighting , ev settings or positioning of subject?
imj using a ricoh rr30
ozematt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2003, 4:48 PM   #2

Just a quick shot (flowers aint my thing);
-If camera allows for exposure stops, use 1 stop higher.
-Use a lot of light but watch out that for bleached highlights, a bright spot and reflector might do the job.
-If camera allows for iso settings use iso 100 to minimize grain.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2003, 10:42 PM   #3

The majority of my shots are of flowers and many in macro mode. I prefer to shoot on cloudy days, or early morning/late afternoon while the sun is lower in the sky, because the colors are captured with more accuracy.

The light in our part of the hemisphere slants through such that it dilutes flower colors. Take those same shots further north, and your results will be improved. I shoot in northern England, and can attest. (^J^)

Red is particularly difficult to capture, because of the intense color.

Can you post some of your shots, please.
JanetKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2003, 10:00 AM   #4

Take Some card board and block out the sun. So in essence you are shooting in the shade this helps with colors
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2003, 10:58 AM   #5

Also use a white cardboard/foamboard to reflect some soft light onto the flower. If you want to get real adventurous, use colored cardboard to get some effects - e.g., a red reflector might help bring out in reds flowers.

And with your fourth hand ... :-) You will find a tripod very usefull and lilely another tripod/stand to hold at least one card.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2003, 12:42 PM   #6

If your camera permits it, use aperture priority and set the smallest aperture you can get (largest f-stop number). This will maximize depth-of-field. Make sure your camera is on a tripod and be patient with the wind!. Use a macro setting or lens. Get as close as you can and still be able to focus. If it is a bright sunny day, use a white diffuser held above the flower to cut the harsh shadows. A diffuser is a frame with a translucent white material stretched across it.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2003, 12:53 PM   #7

Another thing to realize is that Macro work is not easy. The depth of field can be really small, making it hard to focus. Also, this limits the angles you can use to take the picture (a shot from the side might not have the entire flower in focus, if that is your intent.)

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2004, 12:16 AM   #8

AS far as flower photography, I have tagged along with my wife to the local garden nursery. I have collected many a good photo.
First, the lighting is even. Second, no wind! Third, there is allways a good selection of inscets.

People look at you funny, but they leave you alone as long as your wife buys plants.
iluvnickyandbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2004, 11:18 AM   #9

eric......can you make the aperture smaller(larger number) if you wanna shoot from the side of the flower? cuz i took this gorgeous angle of a day lily from the side with one petal right in the middle but not all of it was focused......can i go up (in number) in the arperture and take it then? or is that not good for macro?
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 9:06 AM   #10

One thing I've experimented with is shooting from below the flower - with my G2 I can use the LCD screen to compose a shot that would be near impossible to do with a SLR.

Because the backgrouch is a bluish sky the colours stand out and it's a different perspective from the norm.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote