Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:21 PM   #1
Default PVC sighting tube helps in framing action videos.

PVC sighting tube helps in framing action videos.

The piece of pvc is 2" x 1"

The sticky side of a thin piece of double sided tape was folded in half to form a bead. Then the no stick covering was removed. And the sticky bead applied where the pipe and camera housing meet. (Double sided tape or velcro could be used to attach a sighting tube to a camcorder with a flat top.)

I will be using it to take fly-by videos this summer.

The camera is an Aiptek Action HD GVS.

The lens tube is raised up from the level, which probably is OK for taking "fixed" shots to your front. But for taking fly-bys, using the LCD to find fast moving objects that are small at first, get larger, and then recede again, doesn't work that good. And ditto for just pointing and shooting, due to the up angle of the lens tube.

Also, in bright light, there is glare off of the LCD so it is hard to see images. I added a plastic overlay with a matte finish to minimize glare, but due to the overlay, images are not sharp.

Kurt Raihn, on his ATC2K site, uses a piece of PCV attached to his "wrist camera" to help frame surfing clips.

I had an Aiptek HD-GO model that is used to take video clips and pics of WW II fighter aircraft last year. They are on my pointshooting.com site.

The HD-GO died, so I got this new one with a 5x optical zoom. The 1280 x 720 HD at 30 FPS setting seems to work the best using or not using the optical zoom.

To help steady the camera when taking still pics, I found a plastic paint roller handle that telescopes for about $5.00 (some were much more).

I also found a threaded cap that could be screwed onto the end of the handle.

A 1/4" x 1/2" inch flat headed screw was inserted in and thru the cap, and the cap with screw was then attached to the paint roller handle.

The 1/4" screw is a close match to the tripod mounting socket in the camera, and the right amount of threads extend out from the cap so that the camera can be securely attached to the paint roller.

The screw also works with a Kodak and an Olympus camera.

It would be nice if there was clear polaroid film without a glossy surface that easily adheres to window like surfaces, and which also comes off easily.
5shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2011, 9:17 PM   #2

This works better:

Here's a link to an article explaining it: http://www.pointshooting.com/1ahalo.htm
5shot is offline   Reply With Quote