Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Mar 7, 2004, 8:54 AM   #1
Default Redeye problems

It seems like alot of my indoor shots have red eye problems what do I need to do? I set my camera at OS 100 & redeye what else can I do? I have a Olympus C3020. Is there any other camera adjustments? I'm new at this!
tsnawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2004, 9:40 AM   #2

Red eye effect is the result of the flash being on the same plane as the lens. Some cameras have some built in features to minimize it, but it's generally still a problem unless you can move the light source off the camera.

In the case where the flash is built into the camera, the best way to avoid red-eye is to have the subject not look at the lens. Unfortunately, this is not always that easy. Another way is to have a strong light source behind you so that the pupils of the subject's eyes are minimized.

The other option is to use photo editing tools to get rid of the red eye.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 9:54 AM   #3

Troy -

Red eye is a very common problem within the digital camera community. It's caused by the close proximity of the flash to the lens. About the only solution I am aware of is to move the flash further away from the lens - which means buying another piece of camera equipment. I don't recall if the Oly C-3020 has a hot shoe, something you can easily slide a flash on to. If not, then a simple slave flash might be the answer. A slave flash is triggered by the camera's internal flash.

Check on Steve's forums here under "Flash (External)" and you'll find lots of friendly help there.

Paul in NoVA
C-730 B-300 WCON-07
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 11:05 AM   #4

A slave flash will not solve the red eye problem with the 3020. The slave flash requires the main flash to fire as a trigger for the slave the light from the main flash will reflect off of the subject's retina back into the lens as the slave fires, so the red eye 'damage' is done.

See my response to your cross post at http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...a09bd57bcd2ae9
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote