Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Mar 26, 2004, 11:41 AM   #1
Default Refective Umbrella

Hey guys...I'm not sure how many of you have tried this but I'm looking for a cheap fix on getting a reflector. I was thinking of getting an umbrella shaped thing or even an umbrella and wrap it with aluminium foil and somehow attach it to my tripod for using it for extra lighting. I know this is kinda retarded but I don't have the funds to invest in the real product. Would like to know if anyone out there has tried it and if the quality is any good or not.

Thanks in advance.
newbieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2004, 5:05 PM   #2

If you are trying to reflect ambient light back to the subject. Do one of the following. Get a car windshield cover one of the reflective ones can be picked up for < $5 and it bends and folds down really nice.

Option 2 is to pick up a plain piece of white stryofoam (it will give you a softer reflection). You can cover one side with tinfoil but crinkle it up a lot before attaching it or it will give an uneven reflection.

If you watch the sales (or ebay) you can pick up one of the 5 way discs for around $15. (like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=30082) (I'm not endorcing just showing an example).

If you are trying to reflect a flash or strobe back then pick up a real photo umbrella a small one is only about $12 for a white or $14 for a silver. Less when on sale ...
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote