Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Apr 5, 2004, 10:35 PM   #1
Default need suggestions

This photo was taking under natural light.
I like the high key feeling, but wondering if it is overexpose.
Also is there any way I can make her left eye a little more clearer?

jojojoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2004, 11:33 PM   #2

It is slightly overexposed, but not to the point of being unusable. Use a smaller aperture (if your camera offers that feature) to increase the depth of field so that more of the image is in focus. They focus point for animals or people is to focus on the eyes.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 2:27 AM   #3

Thank you, will try it later.
jojojoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2004, 5:22 PM   #4

Yes...but that depends on how accomplished you are with image editing tools - Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, and the one I use, The GIMP. Just to see what might be done, I played with it for about five minutes in The GIMP (I'm sure others here could guide you in other software) and improved on it somewhat to my tastes, though that is so subjective that you'd have to be the judge. Unfortunately, I closed the program without saving it since I wasn't planning to post it.

Generically, I usually start by playing with gamma (which alters the contrast nonlinearly - differently in shadows than in hgihlights), contrast and brightness. Often, I am able to improve adequately doing just that. In this case, I didn't.

Next, I would select the area needing modified using what is most often called the "magic wand" tool. It selects an area of the picture based on the color you select by clicking the image, with a tolerance you can usually set in terms of how broad a color selection to include. The GIMP lets me also set a degree of "feathered edge" which tends to make the selection less abrupt at the edges. Usually, you get more than you want or less, and you can then add to or subtract from the area selected by Shift key and clicking or Control key and clicking. When I had an area that was about right, but a bit small, I used the GIMP function that "grows" the selection by a selectable number of pixels. I did this until I had a selection area that looked about right.

Alternately to all of this, most of these programs have a "rubber band" tool that lets you manually draw a freeform outline around the area you want to select - in this case, this might be easier.

Once selected, I went back to the brightness-contrast (GIMP doesn't have a gamma function) and hue-lightness-saturation controls and played with them to get what looked like a lighter but fairly well blended effect. Finally, with the selection still active, I did a slight sharpening. In this case, results weren't as good as you could get on a copy of the original (always work on a copy) since this was a low res image and you'd have the full resolution image available - always work with the highest resolution when doing photoediting!

Bottom line is that you can probably always get what you want by photoediting - it's just a matter of how much time you want to spend, how patient you are, and how skilled you are at the art.

If you haven't tried it, do by all means...you may open a whole new window on your hobby - to say nothing of being able to salvage many otherwise excellent images.
Optiker is offline   Reply With Quote