Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Apr 24, 2004, 7:23 PM   #1
Default Focus Frustrations

Is anyone else suffering from bad luck with autofocus? I had a Sony DSC-D770 that I loved, and don't recall having bad focusing problems. Unfortunately, it just stopped working one day (after I ran over it with my car _ !!!!!!).

I switched to the Minolta Dimage 7i, and I LOVE this camera - except that I have a huge % of unusable shots due to focusing.

In low light, I often have to autofocus 4 times, and then I still don't get it in focus sometimes. (I mean its way out of focus, so you can obviously see it in the viewfinder).

Manual focus doesn't seem to work intuitivley - I can spin the knurled ring in one direction and then the other and not see the image focus. (The 7i uses 'fly by wire' manual focus, I think).

I am about to get another camera - 5 or 8 MPxl, and am looking for advice. I still love the minolta, so am looking at the A2. But I'm afraid I'll be sorry if the focus isn't significantly better.

I see that there are cameras out there with focus assist (infra red or something). Does anyone have recommendations for either an alternative to the Minolta Dimage A2 or suggestions on how I can be more successful with focusing?

judstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2004, 12:28 PM   #2

I am finding that with my A2, compared to my Fuji F602, I have to allow significant extra time for the focussing to work - i.e. holding the shutter release 1/2 way down for longer.

Maybe that is your problem too ?
alan sh is offline   Reply With Quote