Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old May 7, 2004, 7:46 PM   #1

I am in Australia and could find no help like that I found at Steve's Digicams. I am struggling with learning how to use my telephoto lens - and am still learning all the menu selections on my Nikon 8700. I wondered if anyone in this forum could give me some tips on using the telephoto lens.

topsyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2004, 5:00 PM   #2

Are You meaning You purchased the TC-E15ED telephoto converter lens?? If so You need to purchase the UR-E8 Adapter to install that lens to the camera. If You have all of that , All You need to do is go in the menue and select telephoto under the Lens. Then just start taking photographs. I have the 8700 and it is A truly great camera. Just read the manual and practice with the camera and You will catch on just How nice this camera is. Just don't forget to format the CF card when You put it in the camera. I do every time it comes out to put in My card reader. If You mean the Digital zoom feature on this camera just turn it off and pretend it don't exist. On all of these cameras the digital zoom tele justs crops out the center of the frame. I just keep it turned off and use the optical zoom lens and I have no problems.In the Menue You just keep it on NORMAL. It is very crisp and sharp. I do people moving on their Motorcycles and also do Pets. I just did A border collie that came out perfect catching a frisby. I'm sure You will really like this camera as soon as You figure it out. I had a 990 before so it was not alltogether new to Me.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 7:18 AM   #3

thanks Ronnie 948 - I am getting better but the digital zoom is sometimes ok when taking shots - depends how still I can keep or if I'm using a tripod. the digital zoom otherwise is a waste of time! I do love it - thanks for the advice - I took something like 1500 photos this past 4 days and have some spectacular results - some duds not many but I'm learning every day.:-)
Attached Images
topsyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 11:19 PM   #4

Please share any additional information or links related to the 8700 so I may add them to this guide.

Bookmark and check back often:

Your comments and critiques always welcome

Ken Leonard
Belmont Shore, SoCal
pbase supporter since 2001
Nikon Coolpix 5000 w/ WC-E68 19 mm equiv. wide angle adaptor
Nikon Coolpix 8700
Nikon Coolpix 8700 test shots

Nikon Coolpix 8700 Online Resource Guide

12,000 + classic car photos online at:

xl1ken is offline   Reply With Quote