Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old May 30, 2004, 11:34 AM   #1

Just a idea: Print out a page with your name, address, and phone numbers with a large font. Keep it with your camera stuff and when you format a memory card make the first picture a low res of your information. If you should lose the camera and it is found by an honest person they could see it and return it to you. Of course this depends on the finder of the camera being someone who would return it or turn it into a lost and found.
spork261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2004, 10:18 AM   #2

Better yet - also offer a reward for its return
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2004, 3:24 AM   #3

My Nikon CoolPix 2200 allows one to select a pix for use as startup screen so I plan to do this tip in this manner...and save the image in built-in camera memory as well, so it doesn't take room onSD card...
jhallgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2004, 2:52 PM   #4

You can just as easily keep the paper with the information in your camera bag. I assume most people have some form of camera bag, it is not very advisable to not have one.

You can keep a business card if you have one, or just a small paper like luggage tags. My friend actually printed a small label on his computer and stuck it to the bottom. Not very good because all labels eventually lose adhesiveness.
DanielT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 1:19 PM   #5

How many here think their camera will be returned?

I've never even seen a password protected PDA returned to someone...they just wait for the batteries to die and then use it for themselves, or sell it.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 10:46 PM   #6

I know... in this time we live in, it is a shock to see someone return something. Personally, I would return it if I found it. However, most people don't expectit.

It still pays to put your info just in case a decent, honest person finds it.
DanielT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 11:51 AM   #7

The reward is a good idea, someone on the fence might give it back, but as with a wallet, if lost most would be happy to get all your info (liscense, sscard whatever) back even if you lost the cash, I'd say at least give them an email accountor address, Heck even a pre stamped/addressed envelope. a thief with even a modicum of decency might at least send you your pictures/mem card/film!
gruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 3:03 PM   #8

I would recommend Phone and/or email only coupled with modest reward offered for return of item. Your email address should not contain your name. Your phone number should, ideally, be a cell phone number, not a home phone number, if possible.

Do not put your address on the card. If you have a nice digcam, PDA, etc you just "advertised" your home as a place where "nice things live" if you include your address.

Also, meet in a public place.

Confirm that item is working and no data has been lost before you pay your reward.

Then pay your reward in cash, If you pay with a personal check, again, you just gave away your address. Dont do it!

Lastly, leave last. Do not leave first from the public place.

Check six (look behind you) as you leave to ensure that no one is following you home.

Develop, refine, practice "situational awareness."

If "it" doesn't feel "right", "it" isn't!

Trust your "gut".

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 4:08 PM   #9

What a sad commentary on our "enlightened" "civilisation"
pjohnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 8:58 PM   #10

i have a dog tag atached to the outside of my camera bag via a little chain, it has my name, address, phone number, ans ss#

also, i have little dymo labels with my name, and phone number, and i have one on my camera body, all lenses, monopod, flashes, batteries, cf cards, and misc. stuff (i.e. lens caps, in case a lay down one down on the sidelines somewere) heck, i even have labels on my battery chargers...

almost all the people on the sidelines know me, and i am freinds with all the local shooters, and i know that anyone of them would see a peice of my gear, and either give it to me later or call me, so i dont really wory about loosening stuff

i respect them, and they respect me...

once, i was shooting a high school baseball game, and i had my camera bag laying on the ground next to a shooter for the local paper, and i was on the other side of the field, and a foul ball was hit towrds my bag very hard, and the shooter picked up my bag just like it was his own, and saved anything that was in my bag, after that i was eternally great-full, and i thanked him

anyhow, the point is, i know i cant trust people around me...
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote