Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Jun 9, 2004, 3:46 PM   #1

I don't know if this pertains to all digital cameras or just mine. I have the fuji s602z. Today while out trying out an reversed lense addition it was too windy and too warm to capture much as i needed to be too close to the subjects. well, i decided to put on a +$ & +2 closeup lenses (my usual setup for macro work) but, didn't put the camera in macro mode. i found i could capture an image almost twice as large at full zoom as i could with the same setup but in macro mode. but, the real neat thing was that i could be 2 or 3 times further away than in macro mode. there seems to be a drawback to this. the depth of field is much less than with the camera in macro mode. even with high f-stops the depth of field was lacking as compared to being in macro mode. anyone elses cameras work this way??

djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2004, 12:33 AM   #2

That's the whole purpose of the closeup/diopter lenses...to get close without getting that close, and to use the full zoom.

The diopter number (+1, +2, etc.) gives you the distance in 1/diopter-number meters that is the furthest away you can focus to at infinity...with a +2 diopter that means the furthest distance the camera will focus to is 1/2 meter with the lens at the infinity position, of course you can always get closer. With these things you can use the full zoom...with this American penny shot I had +7 diopter (+4, +2, +1 combined in that order) so that means the maximum I could be away from the object was 1/7th of a meter or 14.3cm, in this picture I was 13cm (5") away, and I zoomed in to 300mm (taken with an Olympus C-700):

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote