Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Jul 31, 2004, 11:50 PM   #11

640x480 would look absolutely terrible as any size print. Even more so because you are taking a still from a movie, and all the movies I have seen come from digital cameras are not the best exposure quality, especially around the edges of the frame.

I would recommend TheGhost's other option as your primary choice to get the best quality photos from the limitations set by yourself and your camera.

rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2004, 9:45 AM   #12

I suppose I could use the continuous rapid fire shooting mode (probably around 1 to 1.7 fps or so) and try to choose the best of one shot to fix up.

maybe shutter speed of 1/30, ISO 200, F/2.8, hyperfocal (how do I figure out where this would be?), near wide angle (but maybe zoomed to 80mm or 100mm in which case aperture would be F/3.1)?

Just for curiosity's sake, if I was going to get another camera and lens, for a few various price levels what would be the best low-light fast-shutter choice...

<$1250 (my guess would be Canon Rebel or Nikon D70 with what lens

price for Canon EOS 1Ds with an F/0.5 50mm lens?

Of course I can't afford to get much of anything.... except I like what I've seen on a Fuji F700, and would be willing to consider getting one if I had a little bit of money AND it was a very good price.

being more realistic, if I was going to get a somewhat small (maybe compact) (well, ok, maybe not a pocket camera, but definitely a non-dSLR) camera, what would be my best bet for a few various price ranges? I don't need much if any zoom - something in the 48 to 80mm range (even if it's fixed) would be fine for me. I would like at least 1 megapixel (1152x864 or 1280x960) and don't care how much above that it goes, just so long as the pixels aren't very dense (for example, no more than 2 megapixels on a 1/2.7" sensor or 3 megapixels on a 1/1.8" sensor or 4 megapixels on a 2/3" sensor, preferably less dense though). A used / discontinued camera would be an option, too. I would like to keep the price down, so I don't need a whole lot of features - just basically aperture and shutter speed and ISO control, and maybe a couple other minor things.
As far as the prices go, the price would include enough memory to take at least 50 to 80 shots at the highest quality and resolution, and if it uses a proprietary battery, would include that...
What would you recommend in those price ranges?
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote