Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Aug 20, 2004, 7:49 AM   #1

Hi all,

I am struggling with the following problem. I would like to do a model photo (human that is ...). I would like to experiment with deep shadows over the face or body. My current tries have been the following:The room was totally darkened. I used a manual flash mounted on the camera (pointing sideways)set to minimum flash output just to trigger the slave which was positioned to the side of the object. The aperture was set to around 4 and ISO to 100 so that the flash from the camera is not too visible. The problem is that I do not seem to be getting deep enough (dark)shadows even though I try various positions in relation to the slave. One of my hypotheses for the problem is that the room I am using is painted in light colorsand that it reflects too much light.Any suggestions on how to solve the problem?

Regards Luke
luka_glo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2004, 10:41 AM   #2

Try it with a black background & a direct lighting source from the side. The shot below was made using a black paper background & one 150W halogen hot lamp (positioned to my immediate right & 4 feet away) aimed directly at the model.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 11:12 AM   #3

What if youtry indark room at night? then you have to use a night lamp. the light from the lamp has to be directed to your object. and when you take the pictures, you have not to use the flash! then you will have some pictures with deep shadows over the face or body. there is not problems with walls!

gera is offline   Reply With Quote