Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Oct 29, 2004, 4:22 PM   #11

kex wrote:
bradg wrote:
you know those little keychain usb drive thingys, id sugjest useing one of those
and then? you need to have a notebook or pc with you to read files from these usb sticks. or is there a cam which can do that? Just curious.

well, even if it was on a cf card, you still need a computer because cameras dont display pdf files...
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 8:59 AM   #12

I would like to suggest something that works for me. I have a PDA (personal digital assistant) HP IPAQ 5450 with CF sleeve. I installed Adobe acrobat reader on my PDA and copied the manual for my Canon 10D on to the storage card (SD card). I now have a device that I can store and view images, as well as read .pdf files, connect to the web (wireless network), send email, make voice comments about the picure I just took (built in voice recorder). I also have a GPS to find my way and record my travel for the day.

The PDA has my calendar, contacts, and fits in my hip pocket (with out the CF sleeve). I don't go anywhere with out it.

pclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 7:43 PM   #13

The PDA suggestion beat me by a week. I also use my PDA in this manner. In addtion, the PDA is great for keeping notes on the pics, people, and events. Many PDAs have "shortcut" writing pattern recognized inputs that keep the actual input work to a minium (for example,a couple strokes with the stylusand the detaileddate and time is entered).

While not always possible, I try to keep all my devices using the same memory card type so I can interchange them as needed (computer, PDA, camera, photoprinter, cellphone, etc.), using adapters only when absolutely necessary.
escudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 10:30 PM   #14

I also use my PDA in this manner... plus when I am shooting landscapes or even an area I find anything photo worthy in an area I am unfamiliar with I use my GPS card with the PDA to log the cordinates, so I know I can find my way back!

EnglishBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 2:55 PM   #15

Another option to using PDF is to photograph the Operating Instructions Manual. I used the 16 mb SD memory card provided with the camera. The set up was Macro, auto flash , picture size 1280X960, quality standard. I first took pictures of the Content pages and the Index pages....
mx-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 8:27 AM   #16

PDA??? Awsome Idea... how come I never thought of that?? Not only can you keep the PDF file of your Manual, you can store the pics, e-mail... wow, seriously, i would never have thought of that one!....... wonder if it would work with the new I-pod picture??

zacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 11:31 PM   #17

If you have photoshop just upload the pdf file in it and then save the files as JPEG's. That way your camera will read it. You can also choose which pages to save onto your card. Great idea itccarndt
TunafishJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 3:16 PM   #18

The PocketPC or PDA is the way to go. Adobe Reader will fit on your device and you can simply load the file and read it. The screen is much larger than your camera screen and much easier to read. I read MSReader books all the time on my Ipaq. It goes everywhere I go.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Another plus with the PocketPC is being able to use GPS as mentioned above. I take a lot of train pictures and look for all kinds of different spots to shoot from. The GPS helps you get back there again.

budmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 3:58 PM   #19

Just read the manuals and get to know your equipment:roll:

TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 10:46 AM   #20

I take my PDF (IPAQ H5555) with me everywhere.

I have uploaded most of my photographic and other mobile electrical equipment manuals in PDF tagged format.

This allows "reflow". Reflow does what it says - it reformats the document when you change the font size so that you don't have half of each line falling off of the screen. This means that I choose the font size for the manual - it's better than the printed tome.

The suggestion that we learn the entire manual before stepping out of the front door is not practical for most of us mortals, but it is certainly desirable to learn as much as possible first. There can be no substitute for having all the relevant manuals readily to hand for reference purposes.
bacs57 is offline   Reply With Quote