Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Dec 23, 2004, 11:02 AM   #31

Thanks for the info.. i will look at some web sites for more info.

Yeah, like i said i just got back from the pan handel (alligator Point) and there was still some damage to some of the houses..although, most looked to have been lucky and came through it ok. The road we were on was a bit washed out though.. oh well, i guess its the price you pay to live in such an awsome place (can ya tell I love it down there?)

thanks again!

zacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 12:14 PM   #32

All I did was stand out in the mosquitos for a couple of hours and press the shutter button!
And I thought the mosquitos were big here in Wisconsin - you actually have to feed them down there!!!!

Beware - many mags will not except ANY Digital photos (Arizone Highways is one).

I had 6 pics in The Sports News once and as you say - it's being in the right spot at the right time.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 7:19 PM   #33

Hi Tom. Sorry I took so long to reply to you.

I submitted so many pictures to that magazine, I don't know whether that one is at the original resolution or not. My guess is that it is, because I spoke to the editor for quite a while and he preferred to do the tweaking himself.

backyarder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 5:01 AM   #34

That's a great shot you took there!! Excellent! You should invest in a nicer cam!!!! Your skill seems to be worth it!!

And on interpolation, I've seen next to NO method for increasing the resolution of images that is viable. And even if there is such magic software out there, taking a pic from 3MP to 8MP is CRAZY TALK!!! Sure, you may get away with it, but what a sacrifice of quality. Get your whatever megapixel shot (lets say 5MP) and res it down to 2MP and then use the BEST SOFTWARE YOU CAN FIND and use it to get it back up to 5MP. Now put them side-by-side. If you have any inkling towards presenting quality work, you will see my point. ESPECIALLY WITH A MAGAZINE COVER!!! It's all down to personal preference I guess. (I mean, hey, I haven't had a photo of mine appear on a mag cover, so I can't go too far!!!!!) But I have prepared my fair share for printing and seen the disasterous results of such hack methods.

PS. Sure, these pieces of software work on the occasional piece well, but generally (particularly mag work)... well... I've already said!
Nikodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 10:29 AM   #35

I have had the same problem with selling my photos for the magazines. I have a 4 MPX camera but that was not enough. They wanted the pictures of 300 DPI resolution. BTW your cover is very nice, congratulations.
jp80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 8:33 PM   #36

backyarder1 wrote:
Sorry I am so unknowledgeable about this, but are you saying that someone would need an 8 megapixel CAMERA to create a cover shot?

But look at it this way, if you can get it published as a cover shot, it'll take a large chunk out of the price of the camera. One magazine I submit stuff to is pretty small, but they still pay close to $500 for a cover shot.
jrh312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 4:31 PM   #37

very nice shot, I can see why they went thru all the trouble to use it,
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 3:31 AM   #38

Congratulations! I'll bet the high from seeing your photo on the cover really makes you want to upgrade to a dSLR now!
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 12:31 AM   #39

Norm in Fujino wrote:
Congratulations! I'll bet the high from seeing your photo on the cover really makes you want to upgrade to a dSLR now!

LOL. The need was to get resolution up.
qball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 7:27 AM   #40

The solution to this is just to print the very best 8 X 10 photographs you can produce on "GLOSSY" paper and re-submit them. They have to be on Glossy paper so as if the editer wants to use one of them He can scan it. I use an Epson 1280 printer and Epson premium glossy photo paper. I have submitted 8 X 10 glossy photographs to Art Directors and Editers many times over the years and never got a rejection other then the photo did not suit their needs at the time.

8 X 10 seems to be the size they want. Do NOT forget to leave space in you picture for TEXT to be added and just make sure the picture is a very good print.

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote