Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Apr 16, 2005, 9:49 AM   #11

I have just logged on to your forum. I am taking a plane to get some (good ) aerial shots of our islands (malta) and have found your suggestions an eye opener for a Ist-timer in the air.

Well done.
balzani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 3:26 PM   #12

I did aerial photography for several years using a bronica med. format. I would shoot through an open window, was very careful not to let my upper body touch the window frame, and usually powered the engine back before taking photos.. Altitude for most of my work was 600 when permited. Infinity, 500, and f8 usually worked well. With my nikon 5700 I use the same settings. Now, I also have a Panasonic Z5 and will go up later in the week to see how well it does.

Right after a weather front goes through, is the best time to do aerial work. Also, before 10 am.
rcknchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 6:14 PM   #13

When I was shooting aerial photos I alway used two nikon F4 body's with a 60mm Macro on one and a 105mm Macro on the other.Focus was always set to manual. I always had the door of the airplane or helicopter removed so there would be no obstruction at all. I learned to always use manual focus and Aperture preferred exposure because of atmospheric haze. Even though you can't see it,It will affect your photographs big time. I shot from airplanes, or helicopters if the customer could afford it. ASA 400 speed film was always a good choice and F.5/6 was what I really liked to use. The shutter speed was chosen by the camara and was usually always fast enough to get a perfect exposure every time. I don't ever remember coming home without what I went up for. I used center weighted metering. I tried Matrix Metering and It was the same as center anyway so I just stuck with the center weight.

I have not done any aerial photos with my D100 but I'm guessing it would be done by Me the same way as when I used film and the F4's.

I sold all of My camara stuff a couple of years ago so I do not even own a Macro lens now. I retired on disability due to health problems but I could not stand not taking pictures so I bought a Nikon 8700 and then A D100 so I can at least keep on shooting small things and a few portraits here and there. The digital is great. I now only carry a D100 and a SB28DX flash and use a 24/120"VR" nikon lens and this combo does everything I ever need to do. I do use a stroboframe bracket to get theflash up over the lens to avoid shadows indoors or out. Flash is connected with a Nikon #19 cord to still allow all functions to operate.

Just always remember to keep it simple and consistent and everything seams to go much easier.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 3:36 AM   #14

I've only been up to do aerial shots twice, once in a helicopter and the other time in a small plane. I found the best thing to do was shoot wideangle (119mm seems a bit long) and keep the aperture as wide as possible to maintain a fast shutter speed. There's a lot of vibration and movement (there was in the chopper I was in) and I did notice that the wideangle shots were much sharper (ie no blur from movement) than the ones where I had zoomed in.
wingnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote