Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Mar 19, 2005, 1:10 AM   #1

What are some tips to keep a rather large high quality photo under 250kb? I've seen some pretty big pictures on this site that are under 250kb. Thanks
post infinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2005, 3:13 AM   #2

The file size depends more on the amount of .jpeg compression than on image size. Image editing software should have the ability to compress by file size. I use Photoimpact, from Ulead, and it does this easily. I believe PSP and PS also work in similar fashion.

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 7:08 AM   #3

One word of advice: Irfanview. Its a free download and the handiest viewer/editor out there. Open the final image in it, then choose Resize/Resample under the Image menu. In the New Size width box type 800 (pixels, of course) and make sure that the Maintain Ratio box is checked. At the lower right, check Resample and use the Lanczos filter. Click OK. Then click the floppy icon (save as) in the toolbar, add "web" to the file name, check the Show Options box and set the quality to 90 to start, then click Save. You might also check the "Keep the original EXIF data" box for our benefit.

Your image should now be well under 250K and of decent quality, and the original will be untouched.

Hope this helps, Lou

p.s. The printing interface in Irfanview is also excellent.
derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 3:01 PM   #4

Us dial up folks would rather have you think in terms of 25k instead of 250K.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 6:14 PM   #5

Photoshop CS does a really nice job. I get a 650 pixel wide photo, around 75K by using the "Save for Web" function in the file menu.

I normally set it to medium quality around 60 to 70, with 0 blur

tswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 8:52 AM   #6

I had forgotten that this feature is also available in Elements 2. I just tried it and like it even better than irfanview because it gives a real-time preview of the output before hitting the "save" button. Find it under the File menu.

derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 3:02 AM   #7

There are so many. At the moment I am using" A SMALLER IMAGE"
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 2:06 PM   #8

If you're using Windows XP, microsoft have asmall useful addon , a free download from their site called "ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe", what you do with this once it is installed is right clickon anyimage, on the right click menu is now a menu feature which says - resize picture, choose this and then a window opens up with a few options IE: small 450 x 600 , medium 600 x 800 , large etc......the large files are in the region of 75kb, starting with a 3.5mb original

Hope this helps
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote