Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old May 22, 2005, 7:21 PM   #1

So this has probably been done explained before.

Let's say I take 2 exposures of the exact same picture. One with the sky correctly exposed. and 1 with ground properly exposed.

What is the best way to combine these 2 using photoshop?
dogonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2005, 10:05 PM   #2

Michael Reichmann over at The Luminous Landscape has an interesting tutorial/essay on Digital Blending, what it is and how to work it out with photoshop.

I really love Reichmann's 'understanding' and 'tutorials' series, the 'landscape' is a great site!

I haven't tried myself because I simply don't have a camera that will let me lock aperture (or speed) so from one exposition to the next, it might work around the +/- EV I asked of it by opening/closing the diaphragm. Then there's no easy way to get the 'braketted' shots to match well enough.

Good luck and let us see the result!!
PaulPosition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 9:58 AM   #3

There's several ways of correcting exposure manually. If you're a user of Photoshop you should consider a visit to the PS-Enhancement section on my website.

Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 6:43 AM   #4

I am not a Photoshop guru but I will give it a go. I am not in front of my own pc with Photoshop but here goes:

I have found a technique in Adobe Photoshop which might be simple and sometimes helps me a lot when I want to adjust a blown sky. I have found a few times where this doesn't actually help but in some cases it did help me.

Step 1: Select the blown out sky with the lasso tool.

Step 2: Click on the select menu and select feather.

Step 3: Enter any amount between 50 and 250. Depends on the amount you selected.
For a small selection use a low value and for a huge selection use a high value. You can press the "Q" to see how your selection blends in with the rest of the photo. Press Q again to switch back to normal view.

Step4: Adjust the levels on the selection you just made and you should be able to bring out a lot of more detail.

cheese22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 8:07 PM   #5

Go here and try this technique. Very simple. Very effective.

The examples the guy gives are from some night shots, but don't let that discourage you. Try it with your daylight images. Really nice results.
Delos is offline   Reply With Quote