Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old May 30, 2005, 2:33 PM   #1

Not sure where to put this :

I discovered thatthe sensor of my Canon 20D had a considerable amount of dust on it [I have been VERY careful while changing lenses, always keeping lens caps on, interchanging lenses immediately in a "dust free" environment, etc. but still manged topick up the "dreaded sensor dust". Interestingly enough, I only picked up HOW MUCH when I recently went to an air-show. I asked a pro photographer howone managed to get a picof a helicopter with the rotor not "stationary", and he said to use a shutter speed of 125. I did this, which brought my aperture to 32, and THENI noticed the dust spots [on further experimenting, all shots taken at very narrow aperture revealed the dust, wide aperture showed one or two small smudges]

I found the best way for me to check for the dust spots is to set the aperture at 32, point the cameraat a clear blue sky, and that should show dust, if any.

Removal : I found a reviewhere http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...ble-dust.shtml

and then ordered the product direct from them [correction, I first tried a few place here in South Africa, and they did not know what I was talking about]

My shipment arrived a week later [very prompt service !!!], and I used it last night for the first time, and the results are just fantastic - IE :NO DUST, extremely easy to use.

I've included a pic taken at the airshow, the dust isVERY visible, and then I took a pic this morning after cleaning, NO DUST. I'm quite happy about this, I wasn't looking forward to sending my camera away each time it got some sensor dust.

Thought I would share this info with others who's DSLR'smay be suffering with the dust disease.

Pic1 : DUST
Attached Images
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2005, 2:34 PM   #2

Pic 2 : NO DUST
Attached Images
Old Jun 8, 2005, 10:16 PM   #3

That's a nice peice of info. Thanks for sharing it. My S1Pro had dust and I had to send it out to fix it - I suffered from camera seperation for several weeks. I bought the speckgrabber from kinetronics but haven't had the nerve to go poking around the sensor.
Anyone had experience with this method, I need to clean my d70 sensor and am debating exactly what to do. Alas, I may have to suffer from the dreaded camera seperation again.
ericsvendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 5:27 AM   #4

IE :NO DUST, extremely easy to use.
Hi Eric, as quoted above, this equipment is VERY easy to use, they also give detailed instructions, as well as downloadable video footagedemonstrating how to use it.

Old Jun 10, 2005, 6:26 AM   #5

Take a look at IMS DSLRClean™, which is a new product for cleaning sensors.

I've seen Steve mention using it in the forums before.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 12:30 PM   #6

Also see here for more sensor cleaning info and tools:

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 12:02 PM   #7

Based on my 50 years in the optical instrumentation field, I believe that manufacturers
use sensor cleaning as a good source of income. Any camera designer knows how to
seal the sensor so that the barier is out of the focal path, and none of them do it.
Dust sticks to lenses, and sensors due to the buildup of static. There is no way you can
change lenses (Even under clean room conditions) without picking up charged dust particls. There is a simple way to tackle the problem-Antistatic. I built antistatic systems
and I will describe the principle briefly, although you should have access to a machineshop, and understand what you are doing. A needle is placed at the center of an opening (1/4" dia. hole) ionized air is forced thru the opening, (5psi air pressure)
the needle is attached to a 2000 volt transformer (Be carefull, the transformer for static application has very high impedence that protects you from electrical shock.) For a single nozzle application you can buy inexpensively a static transformer from an antistatic supply. (Many antistatic businesses on the internet) Now the air passing between the charged needle, and the tube opening strips ionized electrons off the tip of the needle
and netralizes the static charge, and off go the dust particals. If you can't find a hand held device, I saw on the internet a 1" antistatic brush attached to a source of ionized
gas. For the majority of SLR users it is a simple solution, Brush the sensor while releasing the ionized gas, and all dust is gone. Remember to keep the antistatic brush
in a clean sealed bag, and don't touch the brush bristles.

Good luck

dov z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 9:18 AM   #8

So much paranoia about sensor dust.

I've been exchanging lenses on my 20D for quite some time now, and haven't noticed a spec of dust.

I mean really, I've never met any pro with a DSLR that takes care of their gear going nuts about sensor dust.

By time my sensor will get "dusty", I will probably be moving on to the next generation of Canon DSLR's, which will probably be about a 12 meg sensor, be faster than a greased pig and cost less than a $1000!

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote