Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old May 31, 2005, 6:56 AM   #1

on my fuji S5000 i have settings for

ISO 800(1m)

Usually its on auto, but im not sure when and why a different setting would make, is iso the speed of old film? seems to ring a bell?

Thanks for help on when and where to use the diff setting.

simonbratt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2005, 7:47 AM   #2

In digital, it is how senisitive the sensor is to light, and each step doubles the sensitivity. But with the increase in sensitivity comes more noise. So, for the cleanest pictures, you want to keep the ISO setting as low as possible. I think the lowest fixed setting your camera has is for ISO 200, if so, I would recommend using that most of the time. Personally, I keep my camera on ISO 100, unless I cant use flash, or want to maintain ambient lighting with a flash.
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 9:03 AM   #3

The digital ISO has the same meaning as for chemical cameras in terms of the f/stop and shutter speed requirments. Increasing digital ISO means more noise while increased chemical ISO means more grain. Not the same effect, but almost always undesirable in both cases.

Rob is right, use the lowest ISO unless you have a good reason to do otherwise and are willing to accept the increased noise that comes with it. Do some experiments. Shoot a something that is fairly flat, e.g., a painted wall with a couple of objects in the front at different ISOs. Do a bit of that and you will get a fair feel for what your camera does with different ISOs.

In general, the highest ISO setting on a digicam is pretty much usless for high resolution images, but can be just fine when downsized for the web.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 10:19 AM   #4

thats brill thanks alot rob bill.

1. So in what situations would you use a higher ISO and

2. do you think leaving it on auto is best for now.

I took this shoot at the weekend with iso 400, never really tried it before, i think its made the photo look all oldie fansioned
Attached Images
simonbratt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 12:37 AM   #5

As Rob and Bill have said, the High ISO settings will give more noise, but will also allow you to use a higher shutter speed or narrower aperture when you need to take pictures of action where you want to stop the motion or have more depth of field when focus is not exact. Outdoor sports shots are an example.

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 7:18 AM   #6

Each time you double the ISO speed, the camera can use shutter speeds twice as fast for any given lighting condition and aperture setting for proper exposure of the image.

Here is a handy online exposure calculator that lets you see how these variables (ISO speed, Aperture, Shutter Speed)impact exposure in different lighting conditions.Film Speed with this calculator is the same thing as ISO speed on your camera:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote