Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Jan 21, 2003, 4:52 AM   #1
Default extreme conditions

Hi, I am new to digital photgraphy, and just ordered my G3. I have few queries regarding extreme conditions and camera performances as i am planning a trip to peru. As the altitude will be higher than 10,000 ft., so i need expert words to get batteries and memory.
1. IBM Microdrive doesnt work at 10,000 ft or more, Is this same for compact flash type 1 too?
2. What about batteries? I know the Li-Ion batteries works poorly when goes below zero, is there any make/brand (BP511/512 compatible) that works..?
3. What about the camera performance? Do i need some special measures to "protect" the camera?

any opinions? expert tips? basically i just need a little help!

p.s. i just realised that a similar question is already answered i.e. "Camera to snowboard with". just wanted to confirm.
ham33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2003, 10:45 AM   #2

Solid-state CompactFlash cards can go anywhere that you can go and operate without damage.

The best way to get around the cold battery problem is to use an external battery pack that you keep inside your jacket or pocket. Your body warmth will make the battery go a lot further.

Another problem with cold or extreme heat is the color LCD will turn black. It is a Liquid Crystal Display and as such it is temperature sensitive too.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 11:18 AM   #3

Thanks Steve for the info. Just a another little question regarding lcd-turning-black thing, is it temporary or it really damages the screen??? + what if i dont use the lcd in cold weather, will it still be affected?
ham33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 11:24 AM   #4

What if you enclosed the camera in a zip lock bag with a chemical hand warmer. It could keep the operating temp up while using the camera. You could cut a small hole for the lens to go through.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2003, 4:02 PM   #5
Default extreme conditions

I just purchased an olmpus c4000z , One of the reasons I bought the camera was to take pictures while winter hiking. I also picked up a few tips from my hiking buddy who has used his casio digital camera in cold conditions for years. For one thing lithium disposable batteries seem to work the best in cold weather(not lithium ion) My camera takes AA lithiums so that is what I used on a recent cold weather hike. The camera never failed to take a picture after 10 hours in sub zero conditions.rechargeable batteries do not hold up well in the cold. Also I put my camera in an insulated water parka. The kind hikers put their water bottles in to prevent freezing. I used one made by outdoor reasearch. REI carries them.
My friend has tried putting hand warmers in the bottom of his insulated water parka, but said because the camera was warm when he took it out and exposed it to the cold air the lens fogged up.I also carry a microcloth in the bottom of the water parka to clean the lens in case of any moisture on the lens. here is a link to my photo site. I am still learning to use the camera but you can see the kind of conditions we take photos in. the two most recent folders contain photos taken with my Olmpus.most of the others are my freinds casio.
pacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2003, 9:08 PM   #6

I agree with pacman's comments except trying to keep the camera warm. If you do that, you will be moving the camera from warm to cold to warm as you use it. I have not seen any problems with my Casio 3000 down to 0F/-18C using it that way. No problem with the LCD, no fogging, disposable Lithium AAs working just fine.

Though I haven't had to do it, keeping the batteries warm would extend their life. But I really think trying to keep the camera warm is a bad idea. You are asking for condensation problems.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2003, 2:23 PM   #7

I have done enough shooting in the cold to agree with pacman too... The easiest way to extend whatever battery life you can IS to keep it close to your body and change them when you need to.
The solid state cards will all work regardless of the altitude, and i have heard from fellow mountaineers that you want to keep all mechanics to a minimum ( eg microdrives). I have shot extensively with my oly 3000 and oly5050 in cold weather and found the following:
1. Add-on lenses tend to get stuck on the front: the glass in them does not allow their threads to contract as much as the unrestricted lens mounted barrel (in my oly's case), so they may stay on until warmed up.
2. This is not a camera issue, but here it is:Although i like fitting as many buttons as possible on a camera, get yourself a pair of gloves with removable fingers if you need to access those tiny buttons.
3. Ditto on the lcds turning black. Even though i did not test it myself, I heard it is the same with EVF's?

And NEVER, NEVER lick the metal body
geof is offline   Reply With Quote