Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Oct 13, 2005, 2:19 PM   #1

For wakeboarding/snowboarding I start with:

100 ISO - 1/1000 - f4 - f5

I assume I can start with that setting for just about anything that has some action and start playing around with it from there.

Where would I start my setting for taking a pic of a beach? a sunset?a portrait in the sun?

Thanks for the help!!!
Ladythump is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2005, 8:28 PM   #2

Here goes:

Depends if it's sunny or not (assume sunny).

ISO100,shutter priority 1/125th.

Hmm, thats a tough one.

ISO1600,shutter priority 1/125th.

If your camera shows you don't have enough light to take a picture, useshutter priority 1/60th orslower with your camera mounted on a tripod.

ISO100,shutter priority 1/125th, force flash (or more apppropriately called "fill flash").

If I'm taking a photo hand held (no tripod) I usually use 1/125th shutter priority to eliminate camera shake.

If I'm taking action, like somebody running or riding a bike I use 1/250th or 1/500th shutter priority to "stop" the action.

If I'm taking pictures of people or things close to me, I use a bit of flash even if it's sunny out. It "pulls" the subject out of the background.

If I want to blur the background of a shot, I try to shoot aperture priority wide open (usually about F2.8 to F3.4).

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 2:58 PM   #3

I think your best bet is too buy a good meter. Acquire an exposure value chart. then you can take your EV, decide do you want too stop the action then a fast speed see what apperture coincides for that speed and away you go.
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 7:51 AM   #4

Hi if you are looking for info on taking good photos, I found a good download in the Sony forum. I'm a bit rusty on photography and it was so easy to watch this downloaded tutorial and it has helped me loads( I don't think it matters if you have not got a Sony, most cameras have similar settings)

Sony Forum

'Cyber-shot Life tutorial' Page: 1 2
Tue Nov 15th, 2005 06:30 am
by GenitalBen

Don't be put off by the name !
coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 9:21 AM   #5

Different lenses have optimum f-stop ranges. Once people have enough shutter speed for conditions they attempt to stay within the optimum resolution of the lens they are using. I wouldn't know where to start there since I have no idea whether you have a fixed lens prosumer or a DSLR with whatever lenses.

As a genera rule you need to boost the exposure in snow or a beach scene over what the camera meters. The metering system tries to give an average light gray for the overall exposure, which works well in most situations. But if there is something very bright in a large part of the scene the image turns out too dark. +EV shift in auto modes like program or aperture and shutter priority works fine. An increase in aperture (decrease in f number) or decrease in the shutter speed after satisfying the meter in manual usually works. Spot metering on the subject also works in all modes unless the photo is just scenery without a subject. You will likely burn out the background though if there is a specific subject you want exposed properly and it is out of fill flash range with a bright snow or sand background.

For outdoor portraits you usually want aperture priority and the widest aperture to get as much background blur as you can. Portrait mode on most prosumer type cameras does that as well. You want fill flash if the subject is in the sun. If you don't use fill flash use spot metering on the face. Try not to face your subject into the sun.

I do best for sunsets in program mode with spot metering. I shoot several shots metered on different parts of the scene. You a good mix of exposures and WB to choose from.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 1:01 AM   #6

how do i know the optimal f stop settings for my lenses? I took some pics today and I had the exposure right, but the pics aren't as crisp and sharp as I would have liked. I'm wondering what I should have had the f stops set at.

I'm using the Canon Rebel XT with the standard lens and a Canon zoom 70-300mm f4-5.6

I know those lenses aren't the best but I really want to practice before I go out and by new expensive glass.

Here is one of the photos from today....
Attached Images
Ladythump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 3:37 PM   #7

Real quick...high f=most of the pic in focus (i.e. f6 and higher) or greater depth of field, but reduces light to the sensor and requires increased ISO (not what you want if you can help it), or decreased shutter speed (this is the preferable adjustment, but if too slow (i.e. 1/30 or less), you should use a tripod)

low f=area of focus is sharp, background blurred (i.e. lower than f6, preferably f3.5 or lower) or shallower depth of field, set lowest ISO you can, and you can increase shutter speed, probably precluding the need for tripod, especially for this kind of pic

For landscapes, set the focus to multipoint or whatever focuses infinity, highest depth of field you can get (i.e. high f) and fire away.

Your pic seems to have the water in high focus, but the mountain out, leading me to believe you had a wide app or low f. You probably just needed to set your camera to appeture priority and set a high f like f8 or the like.

I just purchased the Canon 17-55 IS EF-S lens and cannot wait to go to the Grand Canyon this weekend to test it out.

Have fun with it. That's a nice shot you have there.
pflanaJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 8:10 AM   #8

Unless you wanted the brush in the foreground sharp and the mountains out of focus you have to choose a better focus point.

You get the greatest depth of focus with the smallest possible aperture and you have chosen f32, which is probably your smallest. You also get the greatest DOF with the widest focal length, which you have probably chosen as well. You just can't get the depth of focus you seem to want in anything other than an extreme wide angle lens.

Your settings are fine for what you are trying to accomplish. But you should move your focus point out so your DOF includes the mountains.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote