Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Dec 6, 2005, 3:14 PM   #1

Iposted this in the Newbie area, but realized maybe I should have posted it here....

I'm a novice and purchased the Olympus Camedia C-5500. I love the camera and chose it to take photos of our new baby. I got some great advice from the forums here, before deciding on this camera. I am now in need of a Crash CourseonAperture Priority and Shutter Speed. I've been experimenting with some nice results.

Any suggestions on what settings to use to take a photo of my daughter in front of a lit up Christmas tree? I have control of Aperture Priority, Shutter Speed, Flash, White Balance and ISO. I've taken photos of the tree and lights look like stars (which I like). This was done with no flash, ISO 80, Shutter Speed 4 Sec, F/8 (I'm guessing this is Aperture Priority). I just can't figure out how to get this result and my daughter in the photo with good lighting on her face. The 4 sec Shutter Speed isn't practical for a 4 month old (but I'll deal with that if I have to). Is this possible with this camera?

Thanks in advance for any advice/help.

afcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2005, 3:51 PM   #2

the lights looking like stars is caused by a small aperture. And because it is so small, with less light hitting the sensor, the shutter speed will need to be longer to get the "proper" exposure. 4 seconds is cool, if you have a tripod, possible a remote shutter release, but when you throw in the baby. ( I have a 6 months old, and did the same thing you have done) it becomes a disaster. If the baby moves anytime during the 4 seconds, (eye blinks, smile, hand movements) it will blur that portion of the image (not likely you will succeed) so you have to open the aperature a bit, and it will shorten the length of time, the shutter has to be open (quicker shutter speed) and all is well, but you will loose the "star lights" . What about adding them in photoshop afterward? Or using a star or cross filter? It makes each light look like a star. (but won't change the image otherwise) Sometimes it is a nice effect.

Hope this helps
dashboardgyno is offline   Reply With Quote