Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Apr 14, 2006, 4:12 AM   #1

I just bought a Tokina 12-24mm f/4...it`s my first wide angle and my first impression is that i cannot get the pics quite as sharp as i would like to.

I know that the edges are unsharp..thats normal but i`m a bit dissapointed about the overal sharpness of the pictures.

Can someone give me a few hints about improving this....does the apparture have a great influence on sharpness? if it does what should i be carefull about ?
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2006, 2:06 PM   #2

Is it a problem at all F/stops? It is not uncommon for sharpness to drop off at the widest and/or tightest apratures. I like to take a series of shot with my lenses using each setting on the same subject to not only find where they are sharpest but also to see the verying depth of field at each setting.

And there's always the chance that you received a bad copy of your lens.
Broncosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 4:53 PM   #3

Depends on where you bought it, but you might want to try and exchange it for another. The lens you have, may just not be one of the better ones. I have read many posts where people have bought this lens or that lens and did not get good results. By exchanging the lens, they were able to get one that met their expectations.

That said, the performance of some zooms, particularily wide angle, is not as good as a good prime.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 6:07 PM   #4

I've read several posts of people who feel the Nikon 12-24 was too soft, but after getting used to it, they were able to determine what settings to use to make really sharp pictures with it. I would suggest you try to learn the lens more before giving up on it, keeping in mind the dates you have to return it by.

I dont' have that lens, but it's probably the next lens I'll buy.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote