Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old May 22, 2006, 12:08 AM   #1

I always wonder how the professionals get great depth of field in every photo. I tried using my canon A510 but didnt succeed well.

One thing I understand with the passage of time is to use macro function of the camera to photograph portraits in order to get good DOF. or to go as far as possible and using zoom to fill the frame.

Is there any other way to get great shots without using dSLR camera to obtain blurred background.

asim24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2006, 9:00 AM   #2

You could try to increase the distance of your subject to the background compared to the distance of the camera to the subject.

The way that I used to do it before I got a dSLR was to use the Lens Blur filter in Photoshop CS2. It is a lot of work, especially if the person has frizzy hair. When the job is well done, you can not tell the difference. I am sure there are other programs that do this, maybe some of the free ones. I don't think Photoshop Elements has Lens Blur, but it does have Gausian Blur which can look close.

stevem1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 10:18 AM   #3

Having a shallow depth-of-field (subject in focus, background blurred) is controlled by several factors:

1. Aperture (lower the f-stop the greater the blur)

2. Focal length of lens

3. Distance to subject

4. Distance between subject and background

5. Sensor size in camera

SOme of these are within your control - some are not. Given a specific digicam, if you want the greatest subject isolation you can:

1. Set the aperture to it's widest aperture (lowest f-stop) if the camera allows you that control - otherwise a macro or portrait mode will be the closest you can get.

2. Use maximum zoom - placing yourself far enough away to fill the frame with your subject when the camera is at it's max zoom - BUT NO FARTHER.

3. Increase distance between subject and the background

Those 3 things will give you the best chance at having a blurred background with a non-DSLR.

In general, the digicams fall short of the SLRs in this area because of 2 factors: Sensor size and aperture.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote