Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Toshiba

Old Aug 1, 2003, 1:01 PM   #1
Default New M700

I purchased my 1st digital, a M700 on Sunday 7/27. I couldn't get my computer to see the camera because it uses the new 2.0 usb port. I bought a SanDisk card reader and it works great! I also bought Rechargable Metal Hydrades and I took over 75 images only using the lcd screen and have hardly touched the batteries. So far this camera is outstanding! I went on a business trip and took pictures from inside a plane, a moving car, marcro fun shots and a couple of night scenes. All but the night scenes were better than I had anticipated. The night scenes were very dark and did not focus very well, but I only used flash and automatic setting. I didn't have my tripod with me.
Only problem so far is a couple of images seem to be corrupted, that is they only load 1/2 an image. Maybe I did something wrong.
I don't know how to post pictures but would be willing if someone could tell me how. Would love other feedback on this camera. I almost bought a n Olympus C-730. I think I made the right choice.
jtaglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2003, 3:20 PM   #2

Hi There:

I am VERY interested in the Toshiba M700, and have a few questions for you.

1. Where did you purchase it, and at what price?

2. Are you pleased with the built quality, does it feel "solid"?

3. Have you made large prints yet (8 x 10 or larger) and how did they turn out.

4. Do have any more pros or cons since buying this camera.

Your response would be MOST appreciated.

Thank you.............. Jack Winberg
jack.winberg@verizon.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2003, 9:21 AM   #3

So far this has been a very good camera. I've taken hundreds of pictures. Largest I've printed is 8 x 10 and quality is very good. The camera doesn't feel solid like the 35 mm I'm uset to but I think It is build very well. Only problem so far are the poor flash. Over 10 feet in a low light room produces muddy pictures. Also I took some long 10x shots of vultures in a tree in daylight and it was the only time I've gotten purple fringing. I was having some problems fucussing in busy scenes but I changed the settings to spot metering and that solved the problem. I've taken some great shots of the moon. 10x shows the craters pritty good. Set at f8 and infinity and pictures are perfect. Other complaint is I switch between macro, infinity and auto fucussing alot and it would have been nice if they put this on the main swith instead of going thru the menus system. Although the menus are easy to navigate it is still a pain. I bought the camera from a local CompUsa for 449.00 I probably paid too much (list) but I felt if there was a problem I could go locally with it. As it turns out I bought a 256 Meg card and it went bad. They replaced it without any hassle.
Hope this helps.
jtaglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 11:19 AM   #4

I bought mine a couple of weeks ago.. It is really good. I only dislike the following:

1. poor autofocus (almost impossible) in low light. Low light in terms of a 4m x 4m room lit by a 100w lamp.

2. switching a lot between focus modes or scene programs is not very convenient.

3. The LCD is bit slow (do not have tech terms for that). Do not expect to see very live view on the LCD

4. Long exposures (>8 seconds) produces strange purple color on the upper left corner.

5. Exposure compensation in the shutter speed priority mode has to be manually adjusted... not sure if this is the norm in all digital cameras.

Otherwise, the photos are really good. I really like it..
Jmarhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 9:41 AM   #5

I'm thinking in selling my Canon A60 to buy an M-700. What do you think about this?

I like very much the Canon A60 and it doesn't matter if has 2 or 3MP...
Bruno Fontes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 7:15 PM   #6

Got my M500 one month ago and I like this camera very much! It has most of the features I wanted, a quality lense and the price was right.
Some of the cons (this goes for MOST of the low end digicams): from the reviews, I knew the flash was weak. Just can't get a BIG flash into a physically small camera. Also, as the M500 (and M700) doesn't have an auto-focus assist lamp, pre-focus in low light is necessary. If there's time to set up, you can use the manual focus.
Just got my da' Protector today. Put it on. Had a bunch of NiMH batteries around and they work very well in my M500.
Took a thirty second shot of my one-eyed cat backing out of the room - played it back on the TV.
Is this a great toy or what!!! :mrgreen:
harry12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2004, 11:23 PM   #7

For the people who encountered the purple streaks problem under low light conditions, did you upgrade the firmware? There's a firmware upgrade downloadable from Toshiba's website.
I do not know if this solve the problem as I don't own the camera but am very interested in getting one.
parrot5 is offline   Reply With Quote