Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Transportation

Old Jan 17, 2010, 9:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
Those high pipes were primarily for competition keep the pipes high and free from being crushed or from restricting your lean angle around corners.

People liked the way they looked on street scramblers...but as you say, they could give you a nasty burn.

I used to wear heavy jeans, heavy, high calved, cowboy boots that in my boot's case had square toes...they were called Civil War boots....don't know why.

I also wore a heavy Euro style motorcycle jacket with leather gauntlets and a Bell Magnum helmet.

On sunny, summer days...I got hot, but I did feel safer from getting concrete rash.
Harness boots would be more correct though they were popular with Civil war era calvary. The rings that fasten to the strps were used on saddles and harness. Thus the name. I've owned at least one pair for most of my life...Got 2 pair now. One Brown pair and one black pair. Engineer's boots have a strap across the top with a buckle to adjust it. Also a strap and buckle at the top split. They usually come with round toes whereas the Harness boots usually have square toes.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Lesmore,

That look is back in with the current crop of cafe racing bikes, and euro naked bikes. My wife wants a vintage looking leather jacket and some high boots now. Another example of what was old now is new.

I seen the new scrambler by triumph. It has that race bike feeling of the BSA.

Thanks again bigdawg

I quit wearing the old style biker jacket 30 years ago...but the high boots are still in my closet. Watch out she doesn't go Harley on you!!! LOL I could see her with a new Sportster.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:07 PM   #13

Bigdawg

She had a cruiser mentality. She like the Ultra Classic and the Deluxe. Big dollars bikes, ouch. Only good thing is she can not handle the 800lb of the ultra, the deluxe is another story. But luckily for me she has her eye on the new ducati monster 696. Not as pricey. But she loves her sv650s and my sv1000s. So no big dollar items this year.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Bigdawg

She had a cruiser mentality. She like the Ultra Classic and the Deluxe. Big dollars bikes, ouch. Only good thing is she can not handle the 800lb of the ultra, the deluxe is another story. But luckily for me she has her eye on the new ducati monster 696. Not as pricey. But she loves her sv650s and my sv1000s. So no big dollar items this year.
Well just make sure she stays away from the Harley's. Folks get infected with attitude most times when they buy one. Owned a couple or three myself in the past and never could understand the I'm tough attitude some get when they get one. It's just a BIKE! Not necessarily a way of life. I told several to join a gang to get it out of their system!! LOL
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:25 PM   #15

Nah she wont, she is german. She likes the relax riding mentality of cruiser only, none of the other harley stuff like tough gay/gal thing. Which I do not get myself. I rent them when I fly down to FL, but that harley thing I dont get. It is just a very comfortable bike. The riding lazyboy as I call them. She wears mostly BMW and German riding gear, she is 100% Euro.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 11:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg View Post
Harness boots would be more correct though they were popular with Civil war era calvary. The rings that fasten to the strps were used on saddles and harness. Thus the name. I've owned at least one pair for most of my life...Got 2 pair now. One Brown pair and one black pair.That's a perfect description for them....harness boots. I have a feeling that the marketers of the boots, back then, probably thought Civil War boots had more cachet then Harness boots.

I've never seen them around my area since then.

I bought them in 1970, at the Hudson's Bay Company (HBC), which is still around as a big department store and small stores in the northern part of Canada. HBC was originally given it's charter to trade in Canada, in 1670 by English King Charles to a company of British adventurers and traders.

I had a brown pair. I think the boots were made in the USA.

Engineer's boots have a strap across the top with a buckle to adjust it. Also a strap and buckle at the top split. They usually come with round toes whereas the Harness boots usually have square toes.
We have those in more abundance.
Les

Last edited by lesmore49; Jan 17, 2010 at 11:20 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 12:25 AM   #17

Try here they have a good selection and very good quality.

http://www.sheplers.com/mens/harness...y_boots/boots/