Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Transportation

Old Jan 16, 2010, 5:03 PM   #1

Default Jawa Ice Racer

From.....http://barbermuseum.org/
Attached Images

Old Jan 16, 2010, 9:27 PM   #2

I've seen a Jawa Ice Racer in active competition at an ice race up here. There is lot's of ice racing up in Canada as you can imagine. The other bikes were generally converted motocross and enduro bikes, very fast with ice studded tires. The Jawa 500 was from the province of Quebec and the rider a pro.

It was no contest...that Jawa racer just plain out handled and out accelerated the motocross ice racers...what a beast. But then 70 hp +, running on methanol fuel and well under 200 lbs ready to race.

Tha Jawa ice racer is a modified dirt track racer which is popular in Europe. The racing is known as Speedway racing . Jawa dominates this type of competition also.

Back in the '50's and '60'a Jawa also did well in the International Six Day trials (ISDT) competition.

I had a Jawa street bike and a couple of CZ's back in the '60's, which I thought were good bikes. Back in those days CZ dominated Motocross winning a number of 250cc and 500cc world championships. CZ doesn't make motorcycles anymore, but they are a very large manufacturer of fine rifles, shotguns and pistols.

They have been in business for years.

Last edited by lesmore49; Jan 16, 2010 at 9:33 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:26 PM   #3

I love riding, but I stop there, ice and two wheels just don't go, you really need to be an extreme addict to go on the ice with two wheels. LOL

Great details in the shot.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 17, 2010 at 10:08 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:05 PM   #4

I feel the same way...Ice and 2 wheels do not mix.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 4:29 AM   #5

Default icerace

Hi i just come across your topic about ice racing. and let it now just be that i ride it! if you want more info about it, i can anser. the bike on the picture i have its a classic Jawa, not a modified speedway bike, but a bike produced for only iceracing. the steer is the strangest thing i ever saw, maybe it is an original idea from jawa but it is never been used in competitons. nowa days we ride on mor modern bikes, the engine is still the same but frame is build here in holland by Tibo Frames, witch has several world titles on its name!

Just to specifi the differce between ice racing and ice speedway, we have 100% grip, even more than a Moto GP rider, we dont drift. and with motocross bikes they use shorter spikes witch allows them to "speedway"drift trough the turns. like you see in american ice speedway

greetings From holland
gerrit is offline   Reply With Quote