Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Transportation

Old Feb 28, 2010, 4:54 PM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Default Trains in my basement (4 images)

I spent sometime this afternoon in my basement photographing my HO scale model train layout. Here is what I got. The lighting was bad... overhead fluorescent. I tried to eliminate shadows by using a reflector screen where possible.

My layout is very much a work in progress (only about 40% of the landscaping is done)...I am sorely out of talent!! I've shown areas that are mostly complete. Anyhow, although not quite Grand Central Station, I thought I'd share a glimpse of what goes on beneath ground level in my old Kentucky home.

Nikon D300s, with Nikor 50mm f/1.4D tripod mounted and remote triggered. WB set to Fluorescent; Aperture priority at f/16. ISO 200 and 400

1. Norfolk & Western Engine #1334 on a short freight run.

2. A lashed pair of CSX locomotives as they enter the city.

3. Lead locomotive#5937 emerging through a portal.

4. The old railroad depot in Schuykill is still in use as a passengers wait for the east bound Amtrak Cardinal from Hinton, WV. Don't mind the background...I couldn't find a suitable backdrop to cover the basement wall. You can also tell the mountain is in desperate need of trees.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2010, 5:34 PM   #2

Very nice jelpe. Lovely train set. I can see why you would want to see the museum in Hamburg
Old Feb 28, 2010, 6:52 PM   #3

I was waiting for Thomas the tank to show up! Nice shots.
rlewis0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 9:09 PM   #4

Great shots and of course any would love to see any museum with any kind of objects to view. Us to be a train shop that had a big layout in Seattle don't know what ever happened to it ... hey I know a few that have trains my self... My own brother had a old set wonder what happened to that one.... Again great shots!
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 9:17 PM   #5
Super Moderator

these are very impressive. quite a project you have underway there. the white balance appears to be off in #2 though.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 2:26 AM   #6

Well, all the adjectives have been used above... Really enjoyed these. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 6:30 AM   #7

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Thanks all (Shorturtle,Rlewis, Sharpshotgal, Dustin and Ned)! I've been at this layout for about 5 years with slow progress on the landscaping...as I said, I am lacking in talent in this area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
these are very impressive. quite a project you have underway there. the white balance appears to be off in #2 though.
Dustin, what are you seeing as the WB issue on #2: too cool or too warm? I calibrated my monitor over the weekend and am interested to hear opinions on the results of my postings.

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 6:37 AM   #8

Hiya Jehan! Thanks. I would imagine with a nice train set up like yours, you would have a lot of neat opportunities to experiement and shoot some really interesting photos. I for one love trains, planes, and ships... models trains like this are really neat. Thanks for sharing these. Hope to more later. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 11:49 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
[SIZE=3]

Dustin, what are you seeing as the WB issue on #2: too cool or too warm? I calibrated my monitor over the weekend and am interested to hear opinions on the results of my postings.

Jehan
it looked a little bit warm when i first looked at it. but it may be an illusion, when i just look at the wall without the rest of the scene it seems fine.

maybe my eyes played tricks on me. anyone else want to comment and tell me if i am crazy or what?
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 12:03 PM   #10

The wall looks light purple here and the white on the truck has a tinge of pinkness to it and I know the colors are fab on the monitor we have not change the controls any since we got it some four years ago... New and set from the market...Dell but I notice there is ducking in one of the shots and that could be getting extra colors bouncing out when a flash is done no matter what angle.
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote