Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Transportation

Old Mar 6, 2010, 10:41 PM   #11

I was glad I checked after the first set. I would have been pretty sour it I took all 15 min with the WB set to tungsten.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 10:43 PM   #12
Super Moderator

bumped up your contrast a bit, bit tighter crop. still i prefer these heli's in color.
Attached Images

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2010, 10:46 PM   #13

Yeah, aircrafts really look better in color, I will be taking a tour of the Lufthansa Technik in the spring. I will be bring my camera. Get up close and personal with the Boeing 747 and Airbus A340. Hopefully they will have the A380 in by then. I like taking photos of metal birds.

And I will make sure I will have my camera setting to auto iso and awb. Before I leave my house that day.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 12:39 AM   #14

I bump up the contrast on this goof wb shoot, that I converted to BW.
Attached Images

Old Mar 9, 2010, 3:29 AM   #15
Super Moderator

Loving the B&W versions, hope you get to shoot some more from there again

I posted this in the bi-weekly shootout but thought it might benefit others looking here and wanting to shoot helis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I wanted to put more blur into the rotors, but I was stop down to f14 and f32 on some shot, but still has really fast shutter speeds of 1/250 and faster.
The problem you are having is basically due to using the wrong settings. You have gone for Av which means you are leaving the camera to decide the variable that you actually want to control. So as a minimum you should use Tv in this case and preferably M. Why M? When you are in Tv you are still going to suffer (as seen in these two shots) with under exposure, the main problem with any aircraft photography so setting M allows you to control this better. The other option is to dial in some positive exposure compensation, probably up to a stop. Getting the correct exposure is going to allow you to get the slower shutter speeds you desire and using M or Tv you are actually controlling that giving you more consistent results.

Lastly I notice that on one of these you have ISO800 f32 and 1/250s, getting that ISO down will really help too (I know you were at 100 or 125 on the others).

When do we see your next heli outing?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 12:21 PM   #16

Mark,

I think I will try that, I can go anytime I want. It is on my workout route. Just need to decide to pack the camera with me. It has been a while since I shot anything with that much movement, need to brush up on M mode shooting. I have not done that in years. Got to comfortable with AV. The bi weekly got me thinking about shooting out of my comfort zone. So it is a good thing. Thanks again Mark. I will try to push down the ISO to 200, and shot in M mode next time.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 9, 2010 at 12:35 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote